Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-17-2001, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Employee problems

Ok here's the scenario.. I have 2 employees, good guys hard workers. One of them about a month ago did something to his back. We were pruning, nothing too strenuous on a Saturday and he said his back was sore. He called in sick on Monday through Thursday. I told him over and over to see a doctor, (he has full Health coverage) but he wouldn't. He comes back on Monday of the next week (I paid him for the week, $800.00 take home) Everything going fine until yesterday when he does it again. This time he goes to the emergency room and will be out for the remainder of the week and who knows after that. To make a short story long, my question is do I pay him while he's out and what are the repurcusions of a Workers Comp case if that should happen ? I've never had an employee do this before... No offense to anyone, but I would appreciate only hearing from full timers with employees
Old 10-17-2001, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Dang I had the answer since I was faced with this at a previous job, but since I have no employees I can not answer.
Old 10-17-2001, 10:00 PM
Banned

You personally do not pay. File a claim with your worker's comp insurance people and they will take care of it; pay his salary / pay his med bills.
Old 10-17-2001, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Do you have workman's comp on him? If you have it, use it. By the way, if you're paying 800 a week, takehome, with full medical benefits, matbe I'll just come down and work for you. Can you use someone with college education, vast knowledge in turf diagnosis and treatment, maintenance operations management, mechanics, mastering of all aspects of machine operation, and about twenty years experience? Oh yeah, I keep myself athletically fit, too.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 10-17-2001, 10:19 PM

Fire your two workers and give me and Runner a job. I'll even bring my own equipment. :blob3:

Old 10-17-2001, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

$800/ week?

Your workman's comp premium must be really high if you are reporting $800/ week as his income.

It sounds like you are paying him too much to begin with. Though I own a lawn care operation, my degree is in economics. It is a proven theory that people work harder when they are poorer. Conversely, someone overpaid will tend to be lazy.

My hunch is that you have bad weeks where your employees make more $ than you do. Many of these weeks is my hunch. (For example....THIS WEEK!!!).

If you have worker's comp it is time to contact your insurer and file a claim. Let them take over, this is why you are forking over a huge premium each year.

Ken
Old 10-17-2001, 11:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the input boys, but I think I'll leave comp out of it until I need them. Are you guys seriously not making $800.00 a week ?... Whew!.. Ken, lets not forget around here we have about a 30-35 week season, you've got to pay people a living wage and $28,000 a year with Health is just about a living wage. I may not be an economics major, but don't you fret we make a nice living and do just fine, but I appreciate the concern.
Old 10-17-2001, 11:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

YES ususally way over $800/ week

And an occasional $800 day.

I was saying BAD WEEKS where the employees make more. They happen, because no matter who makes a mistake the cost is always shouldered by the owner or his insurer. My employees get paid, even for the days when the break a mower spindle on a tree stump, etc.

Ken
Old 10-17-2001, 11:54 PM
Banned

Location: anthracite valley, commonwealth of pennsylvania Winter residence: Charlotte County FLA
Hey grapevine for that kind of money I will come up to MASS and work for you 3 days a week. I can live in your driveway in my camper van.
Old 10-18-2001, 07:24 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

ill be setting on your front steps monday morn. just say the word.
please