Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-18-2001, 06:49 AM
LawnSite Member

You'd be amazed, we can't find people to work in this area. I ran an ad in 3 newspapers and had very little response, and the ones who did just got out of prison. $18-20 an hour for a good solid employee who shows up runs and fixes equipment is not out of line. Let's face it , this work is hard and if you find somebody good, you have to hold on to them.
Ken, an occasional $800 a week ?.. That should be the minimum per day, not the exception. I don't care how bad my day is, none of my employees are making more than me.
Old 10-18-2001, 02:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think you are REALLY asking for trouble. What if he doesn't get better? Emergency room visit, doctor visits, $800 a week (I'm amazed), you're already well over a grand or two out of your pocket. I cannot fathom why didn't turn it into WC when he went to the emergency room the first time. Even if your WC insurance would go up because of the claim (which is doubtful), you've spent way more than that already.
Old 10-20-2001, 12:43 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Grapy- there are only two types of folks who make workman's comp problems for you- the ones who aren't actually hurt and want to screw you and the system, and the ones who are actually hurt but get no help from the business. If you keep your guy happy and pay his medical and most of his salary, you may be ok. If you don't have workman's comp, then you better pay his medical and some of his salary. a claim from him could shut you down. It should be noted that on workman's comp you don't get your entire salary, you get like 70-90% of your take home. I have had folks get hurt for me before, I bent over backwards to help with deductables, salary and cards. My employees are treated as friends. Daveg
Old 10-20-2001, 06:10 AM
LawnSite Member

My wife talked to Comp insurance on Friday and said that rates would not increase with a claim...? They say because we've never had a claim that all that would happen is, we would lose our 5% a year in premium deductions ( which I didn't know I was getting anyway) Hey Gretzy, of course I have Workers Comp. what are you kidding ! The problem is the minute you go into the emergency room, the first thing they ask you is "did this happen at work" and if you answer yes then your health insurance no longer covers you... one more thing I didn't know. Smburgess, you know why I didn't go to Comp right away ?.. It's because I'm an idiot , thats why. It must be all the horror stories you hear and it scared the crap out me
Old 10-20-2001, 07:47 AM
LawnSite Member

I am doing something wrong. 800 a week to two employees and you make mor ethan they do? You gotta be pulling in 10-12k per month. I would have to charge 50.00 per cut to each customer to do that.

I'm moving to Taxacussetts, Grapevine are you hiring?
Old 10-20-2001, 09:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Grapevine,

I am in MA also and can relate to your worker problems. Just curious though, this guy who makes 800 a week, what do you bill him out hourly at?
Old 10-20-2001, 05:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Grasschopper, I've been in this for 14 years.. In a 9 month season we average about 20,000 per month. My philosophy is , if I'm making money the people who work for me are making money, it's the only way to keep good help. I'm also not one of those bosses who wears the collared shirt, I do the same crap work as everyone.. it's the only way I know. The guy who hurt his back has worked for me for 5 years and is more than just a worker to us, he's worth the money.
Old 10-20-2001, 05:41 PM

My employees are treated as friends. Daveg

That is great to hear Dave. I hope everyone read this. Rules are rules are rules. If you have a good one (employee) do whatever you have to in order to keep him/her around. If it means pay more, then pay more. If it means pay bills, then pay bills. As long as you know your numbers and are comfortable with your profit, then do what you have to do.

Sean Adams
Old 10-21-2001, 05:28 AM
LawnSite Addict

No offense,

How do you, yourself make money if you are paying these guys this amount of money for cutting grass? Since this guy is out of work, can I take his place?
Old 10-21-2001, 11:41 AM
LawnSite Member

I know this is my first post but i've been reading here and plowsite for awhile. I think some of you don't realize the cost of living in this area is very high. Also the construction industry is booming so people have plenty of work to keep them busy. I'd like to work for you but i'm just a kid in high school so I guess that means no $800 a week for me.