Register free!

Old 12-31-2007, 09:44 AM
LawnSite Member

Corn gluten

Does this product work for you.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:17 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

It might help if you expand on that (i.e. does it work in relation to ....?)
Old 12-31-2007, 02:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It's rather obvious what he's asking, and yes, corn gluten meal does work for me in controlling a number of weed seeds from germinating. Much depends on the timing of the application, water needed to activate it, and then a dry period there after for a period for best results. Much will also depend on having the correct soil biology for it to work properly. Without the correct soil biology, the best you will notice is the N effect which is about 10%.
Old 12-31-2007, 04:07 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Gerry
It may be obvious to you but I know very little about its applications

How do you apply the corn gluten is it a spray or granular?
I have heard that it has a lot of nitrogen in it and when used you need to adjust your nitrogen need down for the season
Old 12-31-2007, 04:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICT Bill View Post
Gerry
It may be obvious to you but I know very little about its applications

How do you apply the corn gluten is it a spray or granular?
I have heard that it has a lot of nitrogen in it and when used you need to adjust your nitrogen need down for the season
I have only used the granular type. For best results, you need to apply 40 lbs per 1000 sq ft over the course of the year for best results. 20 lbs per 1000 sq ft in the early spring and then another 20 lbs per 1000 sq ft in late summer. It does contain 10 N. CGM is 60% crude protein that converts to about 10 N.

Research shows 50-60 percent control can be achieved in the first year when applied at 20 lbs. Per 1000 ft. Studies suggest that control is improved in successive years and as use rates increase. Currently it is sold as a dry product under various trade names, including Dynaweed, Safe 'N Simple, Earth Friendly, W.O.W.!, Corn Gluten Meal Herbicide and Propac. However, I purchase from a feed and grain store and buy the animal feed granular form. It's much, much cheaper.

Portions of at least two proteins in the corn gluten meal, called peptides, are the active ingredients in corn gluten meal. Laboratory studies show the peptides themselves to be significantly more effective at preventing weed germination than the corn gluten meal itself. Unfortunately the peptides do not persist in the soil when used as a spray long enough for effective control. Current research is aimed at isolating and packaging these peptides to produce a sprayable product.

The CGM as well as soybean meal, provide the right balanced food for the microbes that keep weeds seeds roots from getting established.
Old 12-31-2007, 06:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Miller View Post
However, I purchase from a feed and grain store and buy the animal feed granular form. It's much, much cheaper.
Gerry, is the corn gluten feed you purchase the same consistency as the turf products? Would I just ask for corn gluten animal feed? Thanks
Old 12-31-2007, 06:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yard View Post
Gerry, is the corn gluten feed you purchase the same consistency as the turf products? Would I just ask for corn gluten animal feed? Thanks
I just ask for Corn Gluten Meal. No fancy label, just the animal feed verson. You may get some strange looks if you say it's for your lawn. LOL!
Old 12-31-2007, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info,I tried corn gluten this past season.The results I had were kinda poor.(But,we did have heavy rains this season)
Old 12-31-2007, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

To all that have used CGM, Have you found that you had any increased disease pressure applying a single application @ 20lbs per 1000 in the spring?
Old 01-01-2008, 11:12 AM
LawnSite Member

I didnt have any disease problems last season.But,if you use any fertilizer in constant wet weather it can pose a threat.IMO.