Register free!

Old 01-02-2008, 11:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Delivery of mulch on customer property

I would like to get some of your expert opinions on this subject. In the past I have gotten mulch delivered and dumped on the road right in front of the customers house in an affluent housing development, and the driveways of some. Is it fine do do something like this or is it not proper landscape ettiqute? And also if you have done something like this does the customer actually care?
Old 01-03-2008, 12:06 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

in the streey is usually illegal but at one house call for over 120 yards we do it in the street and finish the job the same day, usuallt we lay a tarp on the driveway and let them dump on the tarp the day before the job so we can start first thing in the morning. Sorry i was assuming this is for larger mulch jobs our dump holds 15 yards so that was only for jobs over 30 yards if not we bring it ourselves.
we always let the customer know and they dont care , and its fine to do as long as the final job looks good
Old 01-03-2008, 12:26 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Where else are you going to put it until you get it in the yard? I have never run into anyone who didn't understand this. We always cleaned it up the same day. No dumping on a nice paver or stamped driveway though, it fills all the cracks and shoveling can scratch the finish.

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com
Old 01-03-2008, 12:27 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Ours gets delivered in a container.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you are spreading large quantities I recommend looking into having a company "blow" the mulch for you.

I realize that is not practical in all markets or situations, so in that case sometimes you will have to find somewhere to put the mulch. The street is usually illegal so that leaves you with the driveway.

Tell the client, remind them the day before, and never leave anything there more than a single working day.

If I had a nice enough house to need so much mulch that you cant spread it in a day, I certainly wouldn't want to have my driveway blocked all night. Schedule the delivery first thing in the morning and just wait for the load.

Happy Mowing from StL
-Scott Marquart

www.westcountylandscaping.com
Old 01-03-2008, 07:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Nothing wrong with getting it dumped at the back of their driveway or out of the way. I dont have a big enough truck or trailer to make it worth my time to haul my own mulch so $15 just gets tacked on for delivery and it usually comes at 730am before I get there or the night before. I've driven to an account once to tarp the mulch pile because we had a good storm coming but never had any problems with having it dumped on the driveway. Just dont block their driveway and I dont see any problems.