Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-18-2001, 01:22 PM
LawnSite Member

toro 325d wont start

Hi, i hope someone can give me some advice here. I have a Toro 325d. the last 10-15 times i used it it was very hard to start-had to crank and crank. last time it would not start at all. i have replaced both fuel filters, fuel pump is pumping, electrical seems ok(fuel cut out works), fuel injectors have been checked(i was told they are a little weak but should be ok), i had fuel injector pump rebuilt, i was told compression was"pretty good in 2 cyl. and a little weak in 1"..... i was told the only thing they could do was to replace engine because this engine couldnt really be rebuilt or wasnt worth the trouble. other than this engine problem it is still a good mower.......what do you think?
Old 10-18-2001, 06:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

what kind of engine is on it? if its a briggs, then i can help. (i work on briggs engines) if its something else, ill try to help.

1970 Chevrolet C20

My equipment:

1984 22" Yazoo BigWheel 5hp B&S I/C
1993 38" Craftsman rider 12.5hp B&S I/C
2004 Craftsman 17" gas weed-wacker
2004 Craftsman gas blower
1982 Trim-All edger 2hp B&S
1990's Stihl 009L, 14" bar
1964 McCulloch 250, 20" bar

Last edited by Robert Doubrava; 10-18-2001 at 06:20 PM.
Old 10-18-2001, 06:21 PM
LawnSite Member

i'm not sure about the engine.. the only markings i can see are on top of engine.......K3D 96628 ...the alternator is a mitsubishi. all i know for sure is its a 3 cyl diesel.
Old 10-18-2001, 06:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i dont know anything about diesel engines, just gasoline. sorry, man! im sure someone else can help you out. the "K" on the engine may mean its a kohler. im not familiar with kohlers, though. im just guessing at the model. ill try to look it up on the kohler website.

1970 Chevrolet C20

My equipment:

1984 22" Yazoo BigWheel 5hp B&S I/C
1993 38" Craftsman rider 12.5hp B&S I/C
2004 Craftsman 17" gas weed-wacker
2004 Craftsman gas blower
1982 Trim-All edger 2hp B&S
1990's Stihl 009L, 14" bar
1964 McCulloch 250, 20" bar

Last edited by Robert Doubrava; 10-18-2001 at 06:30 PM.
Old 10-19-2001, 11:51 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What was the temperature on the day it wouldn't start? When you did get it to start did it run fine otherwise? Was it hard to start before or after you had the injector pump rebuilt? Was the cold start system ever checked (glow plugs)? Does it fire right up with a shot of starting fluid? Does it crank over fast or is it sluggish? What is the compression readings? I need to know all this to make a judgment on where to look.
Kenny
Old 10-19-2001, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Member

sorry i wasnt very clear. it will not start at all now! all of the stuff that we did was after it would not start at all! it still wont start even with starter fluid! before it quit completely it was hard to start but ran fine after starting. i dont know the compression readings but i will try to find out monday. the glow plugs glow but i dont know if they can still be bad? it cranks about as fast as always! hope you can help!
Old 10-20-2001, 02:19 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Since it was hard to start before you tried all the repairs then that helps me. What puzzles me is that starting fluid won't make it pop. Or does it pop a few times but doesn't run? If it pops with starting fluid then I would suspect low compression and/or injectors. Can you take out the injectors turn them over where they are not in the engine and reconnect the lines? Then crank the engine over and look at the injector spray pattern?
The only thing I can think of if you get no pops when spraying fluid is the valve timing is off due to a bad cog belt/chain or gear. This is rare with the chains and gears. But I don't know what engine you have, so it's just a guess. We will know more when the compression test is ran.
Old 10-20-2001, 12:53 PM
LawnSite Member

starting fluid does nothing. are timing gear / chains hard to check?
Old 10-21-2001, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

By getting nothing at all with starting fluid then you have a major compression problem. Even if you have a compression release, starting fluid will still make it pop a few times. Also if the head gasket was bad the chances are that at least one cylinder would fire. I think your valve timing is off - probably caused by a bad timing belt or chain or gears. I don't know what engine you have but I would bet it has a timing belt. If it has a timing belt then there will be a plastic belt cover or a thin formed metal cover on the front of the engine. If there is an aluminum cover on the front then it has gears and/or chain drive. If the cover is plastic then remove it and check out the belt. If it has a cast metal cover then have a mechanic check it out. This is the best I can do without checking it out personally. Let me know what you find out.
Old 10-21-2001, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member