Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-23-2009, 10:46 AM
LawnSite Member

Pins do work haha! If i have the mulch there with me already i usually put some mulch scoops on it!

Chris
Old 02-23-2009, 10:56 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

depends, thats a funny vision, holding a shovel rolling out fabric one foot on fab, trying to reach a scoop of mulch the wind blowing, O if new beds trying to bring the wheel barrel with you at the same time, Ha ha

BRINGING REVIVAL TO YOUR LAND
PSALMS 67
Old 03-02-2009, 04:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Hello,

I have done a pretty good business starting at about $100.00 per cubic yard installed with some jobs involving running wheelbarrows around the house/up and/or down steps/or excessive pruning coming out to around $150.00 per yard installed.

The most I ever charged was $225.00 a cubic yard installed but the place had to be sold NOW, had no bed work for three years and the ornamental trees needed pole pruning. They got a reasonable deal.

My pricing does not get balked at too much even though there are people who do it cheaper. However, I only use the best materials available because many people charging sirloin prices in this area supply dog meat mulch. Unless the customer has a special request, I only use triple shredded, virgin hardwood material supplied by a lumber debarking mill. No 2 x 4 butts, no bottle caps, no weed seeds, no cigarette butts, no roofing nails, no bad smell, etc. It holds its color longer, weeds are not built in, it is finely shredded so it stays put when the time to mow comes, and, most importantly, the customers are only paying 8% more per truckload than the garbage the last guy brought to the property so everybody is very happy.

My pricing is turn key: includes pruning, edging, pre-emergent, spring clean up and and all the trimmings. I would like to think that I am the industry standard .

Too, I don't mulch "too early" here in Zone 6A. Some of the competition was installing last week!

W.
Stihl MS250C
Ancient 12 hp Gravely 30" brush deck
17 hp Scag Hydro with 48" deck
10' utility trailer
13 hp Billy Goat truck loader
Many and sundry landscape demolition/installation tools
Old 04-07-2009, 10:38 AM
LawnSite Member

Yea just remember the guy who is 125 a yard isn't making no more than the guy who does it for 65. I hope. You need to figure you costs and then find a number that works for you. If you a one or two man company maybe 2x the price of mulch. We stop adding delivery to the cost for install. Meaning the cost was build into the mulch. Add all other service too. weeding edging turning over old mulch. that stuff. Sometime we mow after the fact to hid the wheelbarrow marks. And remember have fun. Thats the reason I started landscaping nothing beats the great outdoors and making money too doesn't hurt.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Mulch

Charlie,

I would agree with you. We're behind you in spring services and I've got people here laying mulch down where the snow is still on the ground!

By the way, you have the best ribs in the country at the Montgomery Inn My favorite restaurant in the world!
Old 05-27-2010, 08:35 AM
LawnSite Member

Because of the price of mulch in my area, I can install it for 53.00 per yard. I also add on, "bed clean out and prep" at my hourly rate. If the beds are difficult to get to, I will add an hour or two to the bottom line. I don't spend any of my time picking up the mulch, I have it delivered directly to the customers house and have it put in the driveway.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:40 AM
LawnSite Member

Use the little "horseshoe" stakes. You can buy them when you get the fabric. 1 bag of stakes per roll of fabric. Pin as you go and you won't have to worry about wind. Makes the job a ton easier.
Old 05-27-2010, 03:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i shoot for 85/yard(Premium $30/yrd) and 80/yard(Standard 25/yrd.

Equipment:
-19 hp Elec Start ExMark 48" Turf Tracer Hp
-JRCO Dethatcher
-Honda HRX-217
-Toro SR4 Super Recycler
-Echo PB-755
-Echo PB-251
-Echo ES-255
-Echo SRM-230
-RedMax HEZ3001S Stick Edger
-Alumna Pure Aluminum 5x10 Trailer

Complete Lawn Care Solutions
Old 09-01-2010, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Member

I start @ $60 a Yard 3 Yard Min installed
Old 02-25-2011, 08:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

In my area the suppliers are selling double ground mulch (2times threw a 4" screen) for prices $22-28 They buy it from the processing co. for $12-13 for 80-100yd loads. So we just cut out both of them and process our own mulch that costs about $3-3.50 a yd. So with that said we install hardwood mulch for $45 per yd. $39.50 for installs over 100 yds. We also pay our guys a bonus on production for mulch.