Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-04-2008, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Transformers ?

Who likes what and why? I have used a few diff ones like unique, nightscaping h3o Etc. Unique I thinks is good for the higher taps but the lugs are so low and by the time you get 10- 15 wires comming in. things start getting very tight and there is not alot of room for all the wiring. Then you start running out of commons. What a pain trying to stick three wires into a single lug then you have more to intall around that mess. Nightscapings trans I feel are more user friendly. All the taps are on one side making it easy for the wires to be installed then you have the high, medium, and low settings. I usally crimp all my wires before they are installed into the taps after I have all the voltage and taps figured out. Also who does heat shrinking on wires. I do I know its very time consuming but I have worked on way to many systems that have water prof conections and the wires still get water in them. Just some things to kick around. Thanks guys. LIGHT ON!
Old 01-05-2008, 12:33 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I am a big fan of the Nightscaping H30 Series of Powercenters. I have built my business on these units and find that they are rock solid constant performers. The most unique thing about the Nightscaping transformers is their modular control bay and myraid of options which install into that bay. It would be nice if they would update the cover to a hinged door with a clasp, but other then that I dont think you can go wrong.

I am nearing 1000 units installed to date and have never had one failure. I have had one returned because it sustained a direct lightning strike and no longer worked... but it was replaced on 'warranty' immediately.

Enjoy.

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Old 01-05-2008, 01:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grounds Maint. Plus, Inc. View Post
Who likes what and why? I have used a few diff ones like unique, nightscaping h3o Etc. Unique I thinks is good for the higher taps but the lugs are so low and by the time you get 10- 15 wires comming in. things start getting very tight and there is not alot of room for all the wiring. Then you start running out of commons. What a pain trying to stick three wires into a single lug then you have more to intall around that mess. Nightscapings trans I feel are more user friendly. All the taps are on one side making it easy for the wires to be installed then you have the high, medium, and low settings. I usally crimp all my wires before they are installed into the taps after I have all the voltage and taps figured out. Also who does heat shrinking on wires. I do I know its very time consuming but I have worked on way to many systems that have water prof conections and the wires still get water in them. Just some things to kick around. Thanks guys. LIGHT ON!
Acme and federated buck boost
Old 01-05-2008, 07:36 AM
Sponsor

Have you guys heard about the new soft-start feature on the CAST Master Series Transformers?
Old 01-05-2008, 07:53 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

are they available yet, steve?
Old 01-05-2008, 07:56 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I have primarily used CAST in the past but have an issue with MDL now. It seems all manufactures who use mdl have been having an issue with the units popping breakers at the main panel.

In an EXCLUSIVE community we have done a few jobs and both had transformers that needed to be swapped out. Looks bad for us. 1 was a cast and 1 was a kichler and I still have 1 cast i am questioning on the popping of breakers.

The unique seems ok but I have issues with the control options here. You cant fit in some of the timers I like to use and the can is riveted shut. I still have yet to use the iforce but will on a job coming up due to limited acsess space and they will be externally controlled.

I am in no way bashing CAST or the Kichler line. MDL is the one with the issue here. I heard even coppermoon has one on the way back to them for the same thing.

Total load was 6.75 amps. Unit would be fine for a day or so then trip the breaker at the panel requiring a service call... new breaker to be installed... then finally a surge supressor at my expense now we will wait a few days.

Seems MDL has a run of bad units where they got hot too but this seems to be isolated to kichler 600w.
Old 01-05-2008, 08:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro-Scapes View Post
I have primarily used CAST in the past but have an issue with MDL now. It seems all manufactures who use mdl have been having an issue with the units popping breakers at the main panel.

In an EXCLUSIVE community we have done a few jobs and both had transformers that needed to be swapped out. Looks bad for us. 1 was a cast and 1 was a kichler and I still have 1 cast i am questioning on the popping of breakers.

The unique seems ok but I have issues with the control options here. You cant fit in some of the timers I like to use and the can is riveted shut. I still have yet to use the iforce but will on a job coming up due to limited acsess space and they will be externally controlled.

I am in no way bashing CAST or the Kichler line. MDL is the one with the issue here. I heard even coppermoon has one on the way back to them for the same thing.

Total load was 6.75 amps. Unit would be fine for a day or so then trip the breaker at the panel requiring a service call... new breaker to be installed... then finally a surge supressor at my expense now we will wait a few days.

Seems MDL has a run of bad units where they got hot too but this seems to be isolated to kichler 600w.
Use vista, no popped breakers
Old 01-05-2008, 08:39 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete scalia View Post
Use vista, no popped breakers
who makes vista ?? is it still justin ?

I think I have my trans issues solved with a new line but only time will tell that. The only experience I have with vista the taps were a complete joke. I did however like the 11v tap. Come to think of it a vista i removed from a job is powering my house lol. I got another one somewhere laying around I yanked.
Old 01-05-2008, 08:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro-Scapes View Post
who makes vista ?? is it still justin ?

I think I have my trans issues solved with a new line but only time will tell that. The only experience I have with vista the taps were a complete joke. I did however like the 11v tap. Come to think of it a vista i removed from a job is powering my house lol. I got another one somewhere laying around I yanked.
I think Vista makes Vista. Or is it Microsoft who makes Vista. Check that..that's a different Vista.
Old 01-05-2008, 09:13 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

if its powered by microsoft you cant call it reliable now can ya

1. It would be bound to POP up something
2. You would face constant errors
3. you would have to come out nightly to reboot the system.
4 you would need to charge clients when they called you with an issue.
5 you would have to replace the entire system every few years just to maintain a functionable system.
6. you would have to update the system weekly if you wanted it to remain safe.

Pete stay away from thoes microsoft transformers lol.