Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-05-2008, 10:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Nat Mullen for President

Of AOLP that is. Let's start there and who knows maybe in 2012.........
Old 01-05-2008, 07:45 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I wouldn't mind supporting that nomination, but I think the organization would come to an end the minute a manufacturer becomes President of it (any manufacturer).
Old 01-05-2008, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post
I wouldn't mind supporting that nomination, but I think the organization would come to an end the minute a manufacturer becomes President of it (any manufacturer).
I'm not saying I disagree but could you elaborate on this and express why you feel this way please.
Old 01-05-2008, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I guess this is why some felt that the organization could have stuck with it's founder's intent, and keep out manufacturers (the way I heard the story) to remain independent.

Can anyone fill us in on how and when it transpired that manufacturers and distributors where invited to join, and did it cause some kind of a rift, or is that just idle rumor?
Old 01-05-2008, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irrig8r View Post
I guess this is why some felt that the organization could have stuck with it's founder's intent, and keep out manufacturers (the way I heard the story) to remain independent.

Can anyone fill us in on how and when it transpired that manufacturers and distributors where invited to join, and did it cause some kind of a rift, or is that just idle rumor?
Gregg. If you want the full scivvy on this, and I mean the straight truth, I would recommend you contact Mike I. in your great State. He filled me in a long while ago about all that you are asking.

It would be interesting to hear other people's take on what happened way back when though.

Have a great day.

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Old 01-05-2008, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I don't have enough knowledge to speak on the history of what happened from the beginning, so I can't answer that. As far as Pete's question, I just think it would appear to be too political. I don't think the general public would view this organization to be "for the betterment of the industry" if it were run by a specific breed of manufacturer. I believe the goal would be translated to be more biased for the specific manufacturer's benefit, and I don't think it would be accepted by the general population of independent contractors/designers very well.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Good response there Chris. I agree with you.

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Old 01-05-2008, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I think the association needs to have a peer (as in contractor/designer) as president. The minute a manufacturer becomes president regardless if he/she puts its company behind the AOLP when making AOLP decisions you will turn off those members whose loyalties are with other manufacturers and they will automaticly be against that president regardless.

I KNOW Nate could be an awesome president but I think their would be "old school" members who will throw a fit and probably quit just becuase of their loyalties. I also believe there would be prospective members with the same loyalties who would not join for the same reasons.

Now the reason I believe you need Manufacturers and distributors involved is I believe they bring credibility to the association. You also bring in what you hope to be manufacturer support not just financially (which a manufacturer certainly pays hefty fees to join and retain membership) but educationaly. you also allow for easier access to these manufacturers which in turn should help produce wanted and needed products.

Now let me say this, Matt Broyles the current president in my opinion does one hell of a job. I think he is moving this association in the right direction along with the help of some very key board members. I would like to see Nate atleast on the board, not to influence Unique like values and principals but becuase I think there are few people out there with his level of knowledge when it comes to this industry. Nate is a shaker and a mover and thats what you want in driving a buisness or an association. Agree with him or not you cant argue that he has done as much if not more for this industry than most anyone else before or after him. (I say that with all due respect to Bill Locklin who was and always will be the father of this industry) Look at all the spinoff companies that have come about based off of the system and principals he pioneered. When he puts his mind to something 10 times out of 10 it gets done!!

Joey D.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post
I don't have enough knowledge to speak on the history of what happened from the beginning, so I can't answer that. As far as Pete's question, I just think it would appear to be too political. I don't think the general public would view this organization to be "for the betterment of the industry" if it were run by a specific breed of manufacturer. I believe the goal would be translated to be more biased for the specific manufacturer's benefit, and I don't think it would be accepted by the general population of independent contractors/designers very well.
I agree too. Very eloquently spoken.
Old 01-06-2008, 12:25 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyD View Post
Now let me say this, Matt Broyles the current president in my opinion does one hell of a job.
Joey D.
Chump also caught the biggest fish last time we were out. I think we need a rematch Matt... This is me (paul ya with me) calling you to a knock down drag out fishing tourney!

I gotta agree tho matt is a motivated guy and with pauls pushing things have came alive in the 2 years i been watching the association. Sean Curran seemed to have that passion too and any president that is elected in needs to have that passion for lighting and the industry like these fellas do. Not that nate doesnt but I agree with Chris. Just not a good idea.