Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-06-2008, 05:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

presentation question regarding shoppers

when you go on a sit and you give your dog and pony show and present the price. Do you leave a written detailed proposal even when the prospect says he's meeting with others? Or do you just give him a verbal and leave it at that not putting anything in writing till you have an agreement?
Old 01-06-2008, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I will bite on this. I"m sure I will catch something for this. BUT here it is. A customer calls. I go out talk with them about what they want, warn them that the lighting sytems go from $2,000.00 to $15,000.00. Then I offer the demo kit. Anyhoo enough rambling. I normally tell them what they are getting fixtures/transformer,etc. I don't think I have ever wrote out an estimate. Most of my work comes from other customers. Works for me. I don't want a large company. I like to play more then work.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thats not very different from my approach at this time. All my work has come from our landscaping business. I expect and hope this will not always be the case as more projects are completed and customers themselves will help spread the word. So far my verbal proposal has been all thats needed. No demos needed up to this point but I have had to switch a few fixtures around to fine tune things before wire was buried.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

If they are a serious client we will provide a full written proposal either on site or if its a larger project I ask for a day or 2 to put together something more complete. Some clients will turn you lose with a check. Others wanna know EXACTLY what they are getting for the money. Either way NO project begins without a signed proposal stating the price and whats to be expected by our company and whats to be expected as far as terms of payment. This protects the client and us.

They have always been well recived. If its a tire kicker obviously they wont ask for a proposal and they usually bring up price long before they want your ideas. I had this happen last week. Its a refferal from a sign on a job we completed recently. They kept asking for details on type and placement. Asked price... 3k... "we need to think about it and we need to get back to work" I obviously wont follow that up with a detailed written estimate as I suspected he wanted design ideas.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I absolutely give them a written proposal. If I feel right about it, I also give them the design (just fixture layout, no wiring), along with the specs for the lights and a photo of the demo I did on their house. Anything I can do like this, I feel gives me a more professional look. I want my prospective customers to know I've got my poop in a group.

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com