Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-06-2008, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Track Lighting

I am looking for some form of outdoor lighting to hand from a pergola and shine down onto a outdoor kitchen.

Does anyone out there make an outdoor or low voltage track lighting or similar? If you have websites, that would be most helpful.

Thanks, John
Old 01-06-2008, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

pics pls

Just something to consider you might be best off with downlights as you can usually conceal them better than a track plus your not limited to a linear installation pattern.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have yet to find an outdoor rated track light system and believe me I have looked all over the world. Last year I came up with an idea to have a 100% copper track lighting system built for use in dry outdoor spaces (Gazebos, Screen Rooms, Terraces, etc) but it has not gone far.

I would think that you can find many different types of small scale, LV downlights that would mount to a pergola and achieve the look you are after AND look attractive during the day. Send us some photos and I'm sure you will get lots of suggestions.

Have a great day.

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Old 01-06-2008, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES View Post
I am looking for some form of outdoor lighting to hand from a pergola and shine down onto a outdoor kitchen.

Does anyone out there make an outdoor or low voltage track lighting or similar? If you have websites, that would be most helpful.

Thanks, John
What lamp source are you wanting to use? Why are you thinking track?
Old 01-06-2008, 11:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I like MR of choice with full shrouds for sink, grill, and counter tops. This project has that with phantom lighting strips all the way around the cove and under the granite counter top which downlights the stone, and AR GBF lamps in HK fixtures downlighting the columns and tables.
Attached Images

Old 01-06-2008, 11:58 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

How do you like the fit, finish, performance, etc of those HK fixtures? I saw them at Lightfair and was pretty impressed with them but have no experience with them in the field.

At the time I was going through a horrible experience with BK and their leaking nightstars and deltastars. (Something that never got resolved so I dumped them) Just before seeing the HK line I found the Vision3 line and was very impressed with those fixtures (they are former BK engineers that got miffed and left, then perfected the line that they had originally invented and developed.... lawsuits are pending)

In any case, I would like to hear your thoughts and experiences with HK.

Thanks.

www.integralighting.com

Old 01-07-2008, 12:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Solecki - INTEGRA View Post
How do you like the fit, finish, performance, etc of those HK fixtures? I saw them at Lightfair and was pretty impressed with them but have no experience with them in the field.

At the time I was going through a horrible experience with BK and their leaking nightstars and deltastars. (Something that never got resolved so I dumped them) Just before seeing the HK line I found the Vision3 line and was very impressed with those fixtures (they are former BK engineers that got miffed and left, then perfected the line that they had originally invented and developed.... lawsuits are pending)

In any case, I would like to hear your thoughts and experiences with HK.

Thanks.
The HK line has excellent fit and performance, as far as finish it is about like BK but not as strong as Lumiere. (Easily scratched) It is water tight and the socket is still servicable, which is the only one like it that I know of? (Socket is not sealed in) As you found out the BK delta and nightstar is a open stem with a sealed socket cavity which makes it a uplight only in my book. Shielding system and various cap designs make the HK line very superior to all others in that area. Knuckle lock down is about like BK, but nothing like the Lumiere patented design. We have several ZX series HK's downlighting from trees and haven't seen any water in one yet. If it wasn't for Quality problems (canted sockets) I still think Lumiere has the best fixture out there bar none, but I haven't bought any in a couple of years. I am not a big fan of knock offs, so I never paid alot of attention to the V3 or Winscape copy of the BK line. If I could sell them to everyone I would only install the HK ZX line with Shirley's tri-spike stake and Kim KLV215's on the same stake, that would cover 70+% of my fixture useage.
Old 01-07-2008, 01:05 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks for that review... I used to use Lumiere 203's a lot but got pissed off with their sockets, and the bad batch of SS knuckle screws that had the hex head breaking off. I then went to the BK line but they really do suck as a tree mounted downlight what with all the water ingress through the stem and the shroud set screw, and their lack of willingness to acknowledge the problem.

Since using the CAST treelight for the past couple of years I have become attached to the long shroud. You cannot see any glare from those things. Does HK offer an extended angular shroud for glare elimination?

Check out the Vision3 line, I think you might be very impressed. I wouldnt call them knock offs really, as they are vastly better built then the BK line IMO.

www.integralighting.com

Old 01-07-2008, 10:45 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

This was done using the Unique Comet. Very good and versatile light and very versitile. Can be used in a Flush Mount, Hanging, or adjustable knuckle for angleing.

I have some other options for BBq's and outdoor kitchens if you want to see them just let me know.
Old 01-07-2008, 01:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What i am looking for is something similar to track lighting you would see in your home above a bar or island. You know with three or four cool looking glass globes in cool colors or shapes. Similar idea to what you see in this picture.

Joey, you may be the only thing i have heard of that comes close if you can dangle your lights from a cord above the bar. It is not as much about the light they are producing as the looks of the globes with the accompanyment of light.
Attached Images