Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-07-2008, 02:29 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES View Post
What i am looking for is something similar to track lighting you would see in your home above a bar or island. You know with three or four cool looking glass globes in cool colors or shapes. Similar idea to what you see in this picture.

Joey, you may be the only thing i have heard of that comes close if you can dangle your lights from a cord above the bar. It is not as much about the light they are producing as the looks of the globes with the accompanyment of light.
I have catalogs filled with single, double and triple head pendants of all shapes size and description. Non of them are designed or approved for outdoor or wet location installations.

I assume that the structure has no ceiling... it is open to the sky above and you want to hang these pendants from the beam structure? If there is a ceiling that has a roof deck on it to shed the rain etc, then we are talking a different game and you can make use of the stock pendants.

Photos would really help us solve this for you.

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Old 01-07-2008, 02:31 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I now see what your after. What you would want is a Ring mount fixture not a track light. Unique has the commet avalible in a ring mount and Vision3 also has a ring mount. Im sure several others do also.

Notice how neat and clean both the examples from Joey and Eden are. Both conceal wire well and the fixtures are not obstructive to daytime use.

Whats the ceiling like over the area you intend to light ?
Old 01-07-2008, 03:29 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

like this??

i do have a hanging light, the Observer. The light above is the Envoy

http://www.uniquelighting.com/produc...s/OBSERVER.htm

Old 01-07-2008, 03:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That observer will probally do the trick. The structure is a pergola, so it will be exposed to the elements. another question on a similar track. what do you guys do to conceal your wire when running it from the ground to the ceiling of a pergola that is made of 6x6's? I would like to findanother option other than runing conduit up the back side of one of the pillars.

thanks for all the help guys.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:59 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

thats a tough one. Need more info for sure. Are the 6x6 adjacent to a bed you can come up in ? are they painted or stained or otherwise ???

Some options would be... Route out a cove with a router and edge guide then brad nail a trim board over it... Carey technique which involves drilling angled holes in the post and threading the wire up then filling with putty... you can also purchase or make a slat of wood with a cove cut into it to hide the wire.

I have also seen something called panduit (sp???) where you attach a plastic trim to the post and then a cover snaps over it but im unsure how that would hold up outside.

Also keep in mind Focus makes a bbq light line thats basically an MR16 bullet mounted on a flexible shaft if you need something adjustable.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:59 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES View Post
That observer will probally do the trick. The structure is a pergola, so it will be exposed to the elements. another question on a similar track. what do you guys do to conceal your wire when running it from the ground to the ceiling of a pergola that is made of 6x6's? I would like to findanother option other than runing conduit up the back side of one of the pillars.

thanks for all the help guys.
When running wire up rain gutters always are a good option. If no rain gutter than I like to find the post or side of the post that is the least viewed and then I run the wire up tacking it down with some staples I then cover it with a piece of corner molding and then paint to match. This gives you a nice clean non obtrusive wire run up the column.
Old 01-07-2008, 04:02 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro-Scapes View Post

Also keep in mind Focus makes a bbq light line thats basically an MR16 bullet mounted on a flexible shaft if you need something adjustable.

Those stems end up corroding and looking like junk after a while. I sold a ton of them, and have regretted it on a handfull of jobs.

Use this idea if you want a BBQ Light. The Hubble, then you can pick and choose any light you like and store it when you dont need light by removing it.

http://www.uniquelighting.com/product_pages/Hubble.htm
Old 01-07-2008, 04:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think i may use a little of both those thoughts. I think i will router the side of the 6x6 so that the wire will be flush, then leave it exposed if stained or cover it if we paint the post. The only problem with the other wood covering the post would be that it might not come out the same if it is stained. It may stand out too much. If it is painted, the diffence in the wood would not be seen.

You guys have been a great help.

Joey, i will either send you or my rep. a copy of what i am working on to get some help. I am still working on the landscaping for the back yard, but the whole project is going to be a large patio, pergola, outdoor kitchen and landscaping. I just need to get a little further along with everything else to find out how big everything is going to be. a couple of things i will be looking for is

1. lights to go under the granite top overhang that is used for the bar. Something to light up the ground at thier feet.

2. those hanging pendants like we were just looking like and then some general lighting for the rest.

Here is another quick thought (can you guys tell i am a greenhorn). is there a way to have switches incorporated into all this lighting? that way if there is a few lights under the pergola that they want to turn off while still leaving the rest of the landscape lighting on, they can.
Old 01-07-2008, 04:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't need a bbq light. The grill has to spots built into it (Firemagic). Looking for under counter, drop lights over counter and probally some area lighting over the whole pergola.
Old 01-07-2008, 04:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

hey joey, is it possilbe that those envoys come with longer tubes that can be cut to fit so that i can have the amount of drop that i want?