Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-21-2001, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Are Walkers really worth the BIG money!

Im possibly considering buying a Walker ,but its very hard to justify $10,300(26efi-48in deck-9.5 bushel catcher) for a MOWER. SOOOOO,is this mower worth the money or not! Thanks for the help
Old 10-21-2001, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

yes -----------but you have to charge alot more
or it wont make u more money
Old 10-21-2001, 10:20 PM
Banned

YES! it is worth it to spend the money on the machine. I have used these machines before and they do increase your productivity, while reducing your labor and BS time.
Old 10-21-2001, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I think that the major selling point to these machines is they give you the best of both worlds. You have the low height for more headroom underneath trees and the like, yet you get the high output of a Z-rider with the bagging capabilities added on.

I personally have not been able to justify the extreme price, although I have considered it in the past. I too think that $10k plus is an awful lot of money for just one machine.

However, we must look at the overall scope of our needs. If we are cutting parklike settings and have alort of obstacles and need larger bagging capacities this could be the machine for you, if you have wide open areas you might want to consider a lessor priced Z for higher output speeds.

Review all your avenues and make the decision that best suits your needs.

Kris
Old 10-21-2001, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Jusmowing:

Walker's are in the "ball park" with other brands as far as price .They have thier advantages and disadvantages. I have a 48" GHS, 20HP unit, just turned over 2000 hours. It is expensive to own and maintain.

There is no perfect mower for all conditions and types of grass. You need to look very close at your needs as far as how you mow, the size of the properties you service, and the conditions in whitch you mow under. Compare Walker to some of the other brands with collectors to see the differance. Be sure to DEMO them on your worst property, roughest ground, steepest hill, tallest grass to cut.

Email me if I can be of further help.

Gene
Old 10-21-2001, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yes!

I just bought that exact model two months ago. We were really stressing the older model c. The new machine has really increased our productivity and is paying for itself everyday!

I was going to go with the 42" deck because that is what we were used to and the 42 fit all gates. Turns out the 48 fits all gates but one and I'll be doing the Eric Elm on it this winter

I have run Walkers for the past five years. This is the first brand new of anything I have ever owned and I love the quality and speed of this machine. We do a few 1 acre lots but mostly 1/4 to 1/2 acre reidentials. We also mostly bag but do some discharging out the back when grass height and safety permits. This is the perfect machine for our application and I have no problem writing the payment check each month...and next year I hope to pay it off. I paid 9500.00 and while that is alot of money, I figure it will generate considerably more. Sweet machines.
Old 10-21-2001, 11:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

To me walkers are worth the money. I use them on 5,000 sq ft yard that are tight and have alot of low trees, landscape Islands and other junk to mow around. 15 years ago when I started they were the only machine around my area. Today my competiors that do larger properties use the faster belly mowers. Many of them run will run one walker for cut in and a belly mowers for the open areas. It depends on you market as to the machine you use. DC and laszer are what I see more of these days.
Old 10-22-2001, 12:40 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

No! ----- they mow very clean , and stripe well and make leaf clean up easy. but bottom line is they cant produce any where near the production numbers of these z mowers. and at nearly twice the cost and half the speed , the walkers dont make sense to us
Old 10-22-2001, 06:19 AM
LawnSite Member

We've used Walkers since "94". There's no way we could do the volume of work and produce the revenue without them. It all depends on your situation. If you are just starting out, the investment would be tough. I was in this for 7 years with walk-behinds before I bought my first one, we run 3 now. We beat the crap out them and try and keep a new one in the lineup whenever possible.. Am toying with the idea of a 60" EXmark Hydro with a pro slide for side discharge purposes. (one drawback of the Walker) Bottom line imho, you have to spend money to make money... No guts ,No glory.
Old 10-22-2001, 09:34 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I own a Walker and have for 4 years now and I couldn't do without it. I also have a Toro 44" WB for side discharge in wet rainy conditions. (the big drawback of GHS is hard to cut quick in the rain) I have used 60"+ztr's and other Walker wanna be's Scag Cougar and none of the other mowers work like the Walker.
My machine is used all season from spring dethatchings to a summer cuttings to fall leaf cleans and if I have to I can blow snow with it too. Its not for everyones situation and even I can do better with a Z on some properties but my trailer and pocketbook can only afford 2 mowers so these are the 2.
I will ALWAYS own at least 1 Walker. There are good and bad points to them all but for me the extra expense is worth it and my mower was paid off in less than a year. Its all Gross Income from there. Good Luck