Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-11-2008, 01:21 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I think you are an asset to this forum and I think I can speak for Bill, we really appreciate it.
Old 01-11-2008, 06:49 AM
LawnSite Member

I saw the post about the soil sampler/ probes and couldn't believe the price. I am picking one up from amleo.com in the next month for $55 and it's 36" long. here is the link: http://www.amleo.com/index/item.cgi?...ew&Words=36hss
Old 01-11-2008, 10:29 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by grntmbfisher View Post
I saw the post about the soil sampler/ probes and couldn't believe the price. I am picking one up from amleo.com in the next month for $55 and it's 36" long. here is the link: http://www.amleo.com/index/item.cgi?...ew&Words=36hss
I would be wary of that sampler, especially given your location.
Old 01-11-2008, 12:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICT Bill View Post
Tad,
Thank you for your input on microscopes, is there a loop or small one piece one magnification microscope that is 100 or 200X for field work that you know of?
I believe Tad is being quite modest with his skills and knowledge of microscopes and their use, between he and his family they have forgotten more than I'll ever know.
Tad, what is the learning curve on being able to recognize bugzzzz in soil samples? would you recommend a class or is it something you can "pick up"?

This brings up another tool for the field, a decent core sampler, I see them in all different lengths is there one length that is better than another.

Compaction is almost always an issue here on clay soils is there a tool for testing soil compaction. I have been told, but have not done it myself, to use a piece of rebar, when it stops is where soil compaction starts, seems too simple.

OK so we go out to a site, If its a new customer measure the site then walk around and take samples with our core sampler, put them in bag and mix so the sample is representative of the site, take a small shovel and dig in an area that looks good and one that looks bad to "see" what is going on. seeing is free and may be one of the best tests we have.

Bill,

I started a new thread for you and posted some good info. Let me know before you buy a microscope, as I may have some input from having just gone through the process.

~Tad