Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-10-2008, 02:08 PM
LawnSite Member

I've heard tell of Trugreen doing an acer for as little as $75-125. Me? I'm around 150 per acre per app. for full service. Fert w/ Merit is double.
Old 01-10-2008, 02:20 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIBERTYLANDSCAPING View Post
Hey, if you can get it, I say more power to ya! I know some guys in this industry who think if you charge "x" for something, you are screwing people... I say, if you are honest about what they will pay for what you will provide, you are not screwing anybody-It's their decision.

Hey, Starbucks charges gobbs of money for the same thing you can buy elswhere for much less.... They wouldn't charge it if they couldn't get that for it.
I don't look at it as I'm screwing anybody. Ive said it before and I'm saying it again. You can do 70 lawns for $50 or 50 lawns for $70. It's $3500 either way you look at it. What you have to ask yourself, because I asked myself this question a while back is"How hard am I willing to work and in some cases how much material am I willing to pay for to reach the same dollar figure?"
Old 01-10-2008, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with you Liberty...but I also kinda see where Ted is coming from.

Personally, I guess I can charge less because with the PG I can do two acres/hour and even more if close to on another.

If a person is walking the lawns I can see where they would want more.

Also, as said if they can get it....that is great!

I would charge it if I could!
Old 01-10-2008, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Rodney,

I don't want you guys to think I'm screwing people. I am up front with people

on the progam I offer, the service I will provide and the price I charge.This all

started a few years back on a hot summer day when I had been pushing a

spreader on some huge lawns.(before I had the PG.) I went to Lesco and my

Lesco rep and I started talking. The more we talked, the more I thought

about it and the more sense he made. I am still very competitive on price. I

just don't give big breaks for big properties. My per acre price is still $40-$50

less than the price for 4 properties equaling the same area. The PG has made the job much

easier than it would be with a push spreader. It also costs a lot more money

to buy,maintain,repair and eventually replace. All things that should be

factored in along with material costs for your per acre price. Like I said, I still

treat big properties. still take on new large properties. I just don't offer a big

dicount just because their lawn is big.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Most in our area use either a PG or Z-spray, so the guys using skids just are not as competitive. (both the Z-spray & PG are made less that 2.5 hrs. from here) Let me reiterate-If you can charge that much-Go for it! I know I do. Provide something TGCL doesn't (service, results, no arm twisting at dinnertime, no "ghosting, better products, same people throughout the season, etc, etc,) you can & should charge more!

Side note-I know a "lawnboy" who charges "x" per hr. for snowplowing-he goes & buys a pow that is 2X as effecient, & cost more. I said what are you going to charge now? He said same $ per hr. I said, so you are going to be there 1/2 as long, & charge 1/2 as much as before? And have more $ in equipment? YEP... I know to many "lawnboys" who never do anything to better themselves on the business end!
Old 01-11-2008, 12:04 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIBERTYLANDSCAPING View Post
Most in our area use either a PG or Z-spray, so the guys using skids just are not as competitive. (both the Z-spray & PG are made less that 2.5 hrs. from here) Let me reiterate-If you can charge that much-Go for it! I know I do. Provide something TGCL doesn't (service, results, no arm twisting at dinnertime, no "ghosting, better products, same people throughout the season, etc, etc,) you can & should charge more!

Side note-I know a "lawnboy" who charges "x" per hr. for snowplowing-he goes & buys a pow that is 2X as effecient, & cost more. I said what are you going to charge now? He said same $ per hr. I said, so you are going to be there 1/2 as long, & charge 1/2 as much as before? And have more $ in equipment? YEP... I know to many "lawnboys" who never do anything to better themselves on the business end!
Thanks, I'm glad you can kind of see where I am coming from. I am the exception in this area. I am one of the few that has a PG. I have never seen a z-spray except for pictures on the net. The PG's are starting to catch on here but they are still few and far between. You ought to see some of the looks and double takes I get from other LCO's and people driving by
Old 01-11-2008, 02:24 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm similar to ted in that I DO NOT DISCOUNT above 30k like most poeple.. I frankly don't want to spend all day on one or two lawns, where I'm working at half profit.. and in my experience larger jobs are SLOWER per 1000 due to distance from the vehicle, refilling chem and transit on foot. Not to mention the large property customers are often pains to deal with...

You work just as hard on the smaller lawns, you should get paid the same on the big ones.

charge what you're worth.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I believe its inportant for each company to figure out what the market in thier area will bear. Our objective is not to get every lawn we bid on. we do close over 75% though. I do not care what everyone else is charging. You do need a baseline sometimes its true. but you have to figure out your costs and what you want for profit the see if anyone will pay for it. Wes sell service. its what I keep saying. also whay in the world would I charge less because I have equiptment that makes it faster. When someone comments on how fast we do an app I remind them of the quality results we get from the equiptment and the investment we have in it. If the time I spend is a problem for them, they can feel free to find someone who will do a crapy job real slow if they like.
In short, get the most you can as quick as you can while still giving a quality product.
Old 01-11-2008, 01:09 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrazerZ View Post
I believe its inportant for each company to figure out what the market in thier area will bear. Our objective is not to get every lawn we bid on. we do close over 75% though. I do not care what everyone else is charging. You do need a baseline sometimes its true. but you have to figure out your costs and what you want for profit the see if anyone will pay for it. Wes sell service. its what I keep saying. also whay in the world would I charge less because I have equiptment that makes it faster. When someone comments on how fast we do an app I remind them of the quality results we get from the equiptment and the investment we have in it. If the time I spend is a problem for them, they can feel free to find someone who will do a crapy job real slow if they like.
In short, get the most you can as quick as you can while still giving a quality product.
EXACTLY!...I agree totally!
Old 01-11-2008, 01:12 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayholio View Post
I'm similar to ted in that I DO NOT DISCOUNT above 30k like most poeple.. I frankly don't want to spend all day on one or two lawns, where I'm working at half profit.. and in my experience larger jobs are SLOWER per 1000 due to distance from the vehicle, refilling chem and transit on foot. Not to mention the large property customers are often pains to deal with...

You work just as hard on the smaller lawns, you should get paid the same on the big ones.

charge what you're worth.
Ditto...Same as my post back on Grazer's comments!