Register free!

Old 01-11-2008, 02:26 PM
LawnSite Member

charge what you market calls for and get as much as you can. remember any callbacks or problems on lawn are going to take that much longer and that much more money lost if these occur.
Old 01-11-2008, 06:29 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrazerZ View Post
I believe its inportant for each company to figure out what the market in thier area will bear. Our objective is not to get every lawn we bid on. we do close over 75% though. I do not care what everyone else is charging. You do need a baseline sometimes its true. but you have to figure out your costs and what you want for profit the see if anyone will pay for it. Wes sell service. its what I keep saying. also whay in the world would I charge less because I have equiptment that makes it faster. When someone comments on how fast we do an app I remind them of the quality results we get from the equiptment and the investment we have in it. If the time I spend is a problem for them, they can feel free to find someone who will do a crapy job real slow if they like.
In short, get the most you can as quick as you can while still giving a quality product.
When i went from 52 inch walkbehinds to ZTR a number of years ago, i had people complaining that i was getting the job done too fast and thought I should make less money because I wasnt there as long. My responce was well I see your point, but does your boss charge less because he purchased a faster computer?
1-Z-Spray Int
1-T-3000
1-Permagreen Mag
4-backpackmistblowers
1-Four Wheeler with 50ft air blast mist sprayer
1-F-250 4x4 supercab p/u
1-E-250 van w-enclosed trailer
1-E-150 van
2-landscape trailers
a ton of backpack sprayers
Old 01-11-2008, 06:40 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted putnam View Post
Those rates were for fert/squirt.
Just so i am clear you aredoing granular fert and spraying broadleaf, or are you running all liquid w/ broadleaf?
1-Z-Spray Int
1-T-3000
1-Permagreen Mag
4-backpackmistblowers
1-F-250 4x4 supercab p/u
1-E-150 van
2-landscape trailers
Old 01-11-2008, 06:42 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrazerZ View Post
I believe its inportant for each company to figure out what the market in thier area will bear. Our objective is not to get every lawn we bid on. we do close over 75% though. I do not care what everyone else is charging. You do need a baseline sometimes its true. but you have to figure out your costs and what you want for profit the see if anyone will pay for it. Wes sell service. its what I keep saying. also whay in the world would I charge less because I have equiptment that makes it faster. When someone comments on how fast we do an app I remind them of the quality results we get from the equiptment and the investment we have in it. If the time I spend is a problem for them, they can feel free to find someone who will do a crapy job real slow if they like.
In short, get the most you can as quick as you can while still giving a quality product.
Check your PM
1-Z-Spray Int
1-T-3000
1-Permagreen Mag
4-backpackmistblowers
1-F-250 4x4 supercab p/u
1-E-150 van
2-landscape trailers
Old 01-11-2008, 07:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcreech View Post
WHY would you have to be that high? I can see where you are coming from if you don't buy in volume, and don't pre pay fert. But that blanket statement isn't really true to all.

I would love to make $160-180/acre. But nobody would pay it around here!

I make awesome money at $130/acre and my maint fert only went up about $1.20/bag and my Dimension actually went down quite a bit from last year (reason being I used 400 bags last year and ordered 900 bags for 08 and prepaid before increase).

Other then fuel costs and the slight fert increase in my maint fert, I could go up $3.60 for fert and another $4.00 for fuel and make the same or more then last year.
It might not be a true statement for everyone, but around here we do have some customers that will spend the money. I depends on what neighborhood that your in I guess. But as others have said. It would be different if I were in your position, and pre ordering for the season. I am leaving where I have been and going on my own. It makes my prices a little different. I can't take a loss. and suggestions you have for me would be appreciated.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:50 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humble1 View Post
Just so i am clear you aredoing granular fert and spraying broadleaf, or are you running all liquid w/ broadleaf?
I have a 6 app program. the 1st and 5th are all liquid. 2,3&4 are granular and spot spraying weeds. If they are new sign up and they have Dallisgrass I set them up for that as their 6th. I spray the lawn 3 times a week apart but charge one application price for this app. Weed Control Only.

"Opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"- Thomas Edison, businessman/inventor
Old 01-12-2008, 05:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fert33 View Post
It might not be a true statement for everyone, but around here we do have some customers that will spend the money. I depends on what neighborhood that your in I guess. But as others have said. It would be different if I were in your position, and pre ordering for the season. I am leaving where I have been and going on my own. It makes my prices a little different. I can't take a loss. and suggestions you have for me would be appreciated.
Worse case....if you pay $18.00 a bag for fert (which is very high) and and it costs you $15 an acre for broadleaf control (which is very high), your cost is $64.00 an acre plus fuel and equipment etc.

If you are charging 160-180 an acre and your cost is 64 (which is on the very high side) you are still making over 100 per app.

Not saying you shouldn't charge this....just don't think you have to worry about "taking a loss"!

That is great money!

I "reward" my larger customers with a better price/1000. I am not there as long and I can make more $$$$/hour when on larger lawns due to less driving and larger volume.
Old 01-12-2008, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

RCreech,
I have to agree to disagree with you. I wont do anything for less than 160/A anymore. If I was charging what you are I would consider it a loss as well. However, my market will bear these numbers and my cost of living is probably signifcantly higher than yours, at least it feels like I pay a ton of money to live where I do.

Reason for charging this is that I have figured my direct costs per acre to be around $100 for a pre/post/fert. These costs would be fert w/pre-emergent, broadleaf and labor. Anything less than that drops my GP to a point that wont cover my overheads plus my profit. But my overheads may be higher than some.
Old 01-12-2008, 07:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I see where you are coming from also, but a true loss is when you are in the RED and didn't make a profit! The fella said he would lose money if he didn't charge $160-180 and that just doesn't sound right to me!

I know that it is much tougher to make a living in NY then in OH! I am a very effecient person and don't need much...but I make an awesome living!

If wish I could charge your guys prices. I go over about 550 acres of lawn/year.

You stated your costs are $100/acre. That seems very high! Just curious how you come to this!

One question: If it costs you $50-60/acre in supplies (fert and chem), how do you come up with the other $40/acre? I guess what I am saying is...if you are doing 10 acres a day, what costs you $400 over and above your fert and chem?

My overhead is very low...I own all my equipment, don't pay bldg rent, prepay for all my supplies and do all my own bookwork but my mom is going to do it next year (YEEEEESSSSSSSSSS!).

At the end of the day, we all have to know our costs and make a good profit!

Last edited by rcreech; 01-12-2008 at 07:31 PM.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:02 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcreech View Post
I see where you are coming from also, but a true loss is when you are in the RED and didn't make a profit! The fella said he would lose money if he didn't charge $160-180 and that just doesn't sound right to me!

I know that it is much tougher to make a living in NY then in OH! I am a very effecient person and don't need much...but I make an awesome living!

If wish I could charge your guys prices. I go over about 550 acres of lawn/year.

You stated your costs are $100/acre. That seems very high! Just curious how you come to this!

One question: If it costs you $50-60/acre in supplies (fert and chem), how do you come up with the other $40/acre? I guess what I am saying is...if you are doing 10 acres a day, what costs you $400 over and above your fert and chem?

My overhead is very low...I own all my equipment, don't pay bldg rent, prepay for all my supplies and do all my own bookwork but my mom is going to do it next year (YEEEEESSSSSSSSSS!).

At the end of the day, we all have to know our costs and make a good profit!
Rodney, Are you Inc. or just self employed sole proprietor? Payroll taxes, workmans comp and the cost of having those done and quarterly reports done cost me a fortune every month. It makes a big difference.

"Opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"- Thomas Edison, businessman/inventor