Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-11-2008, 09:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

hello, Using a dedicated head gasket spray/adhesive works wonders in a compromised head gasket situation .The brand HYLOMAR i have used since first starting my original trade . Many years ago !!
The spray fixed Fords really well ,the situation of oil weeping head gaskets solved [included a cylinder head face /grind ]

On the kohler the issues are
1/ there is no fire ring [steel ring that protects the edge of the gasket from the combustion process ] Gasket therefore degrades , not really an issue in reality except when u have a oil drain gallery so close .

2/ there is no additional sealing provided around the oil passage typically a raised sealant bead as per auto gaskets .

3/ the head gaskets are not 100% perfect fit to the combustion chamber in the cyl head [the combustion chamber is slightly bigger] therfore the combustion process eats the gasket . Does this have much to do with the kohlers running on after turning the engine is turned off . Thats another story ...

tomo
Old 01-11-2008, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Member

tomo, I can't seem to find HYLOMAR stocked locally. Permatex used to distribute it, but no longer. Most auto parts store clerks have never heard of it, and it's only in the hot rod and racing shops where they know what it is, but so far I haven't run across a place that stocks it. The HYLOMAR web site mentions the blue paste, but not aerosol cans.

Any suggestions where to get the aerosol cans?

Thanks.

- Richard
Old 01-13-2008, 04:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

hello,
made in Germany under the licence of HYLOMAR LTD.

www.marston-domsel.de

part number for 400gram can is MPL.Y400 hylomar spray

tomo

PS PS very very good product ,cannot recomend it enough

Last edited by tomo; 01-13-2008 at 04:14 PM.
Old 01-13-2008, 05:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

hello ,
yes hard to find in the usa but after all the s***t i found it .

Permatex Hylomar aerosol high temp gasket dressing

or

Permatex Hylomar copper high temp spray a gasket and high temp adhesive sealant

tomo
Old 01-13-2008, 05:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

hello, the particular one i use sprays blue in colour
The company has changed ownership and distributors in the usa and together with that the product is renamed4 us market ,no wonder it was hard to find !!!!!!

tomo
Old 01-13-2008, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Hi tomo,

I finally tracked some Unversal Blue down. A friend has a half-full tube which he offered to loan me. And on the net I tracked down a US source where I can order aerosol cans.

But it is REALLY difficult to find it sold at retail stores locally. A few years ago, when Permatex was distributing it, apparently Hylomar was readily available even at major consumer chains like Pep Boys, Kragen and Autozone. But not today. I also asked several NAPA stores, a few speed and racing shops, and industrial supply companies, with no luck. Guys had often heard of the stuff, but didn't stock it.

By the way, since I see you are in AU, did you know that in America the old school auto parts stores which have a parts counter stretching the length of the store manned by seasoned pros (who might well wrench on a race car in their off hours) are fast disappearing in favor of the "supermarket" chain stores which feature large shopping aisles full of mostly consumer stuff and a small parts counter shelving only the most popular basic parts. The person who waits on you is apt to be young and not have much practical knowledge about parts. As opposed to the old stores, where if you ask for a ring gear for say a "19xx" Plymouth Belvedere, they will immediately ask without consulting a parts manual, "What size bolt, 3/8" or 7/16?". Not to totally put down Autozones or Kragens, as I've had some good experiences there dealing with helpful, knowledgeable staffers tracking down obscure parts, but that is just the general trend in America these days.

Thanks again for the tip, toma. I've taken your advice and won't be buttoning the Kohler back up again until I get some Hylomar.

- Richard
Old 01-14-2008, 06:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

purchasing aerosol cans

Rick, can you tell us the distributor where you tracked down the aerosol cans since they seem so difficult to find. Thank you

Eric
Old 01-14-2008, 09:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

870 hours, what happened to it? i replaced my dingo engine at 2548 hours. same thing though, the right side was gone and the left side was still ok. mine is a tire model and very easy to swap the engine.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:05 PM
LawnSite Member

http://www.bsrproducts.com/

Type Hylomax into the product search field.

Paolaken, I bought used with a known bad engine.

By the way, I pulled the LH head off this weekend and although it showed 100 PSI on a compression gauge and good on a leakdown test, the head gasket was just starting to leak in the same spot where the RH head gasket blew out. Valves were good, though.

- Richard
Old 01-14-2008, 02:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hylomax

Rich, I tried typing Hylomax into the product search engine and it came up with no matches. Is there another name or manufacturer?

Eric