Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-10-2008, 06:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

leaf cleanup pricing

hello fellas,

im am sorta new to the buisness. im only 15 and have a small lawn care company that services 5 lawns close to my house. next year when i can drive i would like to expand my buisnes. a lady a few houses down asked me what i charge to mow and do lawn cleanup. i got the mowing price but dont know what to charge for leaf cleanup.

he yard is a 1/4 acre intown lot with maybe 3 trees that drop heavy leaves. im goin to charge her $25 a week to mow it and figured that in the fall i would just tack on 5 more dollars a week to do leaves. i have a john deere lx 176 38in mower and a agri fab leaf vac that i use as well as some blowers and rakes. does this sound fair or too low?

thanks
Old 01-10-2008, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I charge my customers $40 an hour when I'm by myself, and $60 with another person. I have expensive equipment, and I have several years of experience, so we are pretty quick, professional, and we do an excellent job. Considering that you are 15 years old, I'm sure if they heard you say too high of a price, they'd laugh, and get another youngen to do it for cheaper. to be honest, if I were you, I'd tell her this: "Mrs. (what ever her name is) the price for mowing is $25, and as for the leaves, I'm figuring that it will take me about an hour longer than mowing, so the price will be $40". If she doesn't like the price, and you really need the money, or want the job, then ask her what price she had in mind, and if it isn't too crazy, then tell her you can do it for that much, but explain to her that it will cost you money for gas and oil, wear and tear on you equipment, and for lawn bags (if your going to use any) maybe she'll have some sympathy and give you more money. As far as the method for doing the leaves, mulch them up with the mower real good (make sure your blades are sharp, and if you have mulching blades that helps a whole lot) then blow them into a pile, and rake it up and either put them in bags, or put them on a tarp and haul them off. be fast, so you don't burn up your profits in gas. I hope this info helps ya out!
Old 01-10-2008, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

thanks for you advice.

ya i know people look at me as still the little kid knocking on the door with a rake but im trying to do this as profesionaly as i can so i have buisness lined up when i can drive with truck and trailer next year. i have mulching blades and mulch kit on my mower so i usually either mulch them up real fine or blow big piles then suck them up with my vac and dump at the curb. her yard is real small and it would prolly only be another 20 min of time. so ill just add to my mowing fee so i can do them every week which will take less time then letting them pile up on me.

thanks again
Old 01-11-2008, 04:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

my other question i have is do you guys do your leaf cleanups every week or everyother week. i think that in leaf season i can do it every other week and still stay on top of it.

thanks
Old 01-11-2008, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Member

It all depends on the weather an how big the leaf clean up is. My fall cleanups are completed in 3 to 4 visits to the property and some smaller jobs are completed in one visit. You must consider the kind of trees on the property. Oaks take forever to drop and Maples can drop in one day. It all depends on your location. Experience will help you estimate.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW Landscape Maintenance View Post
It all depends on the weather an how big the leaf clean up is. My fall cleanups are completed in 3 to 4 visits to the property and some smaller jobs are completed in one visit. You must consider the kind of trees on the property. Oaks take forever to drop and Maples can drop in one day. It all depends on your location. Experience will help you estimate.
yes with just the few yards i have quoted and had to talk to on the phone i have learned alot. being the first year i have really started this as a buisness im just trying to get my feet wet so next year i can expand a little. i think the first year on any property will be hard to judge leaves untill you can do it one year and see what it takes for that certain yard, im just going to set a price that is close to my other yards and if i feel i need to change it then i will after i experience the job once.

thanks

Last edited by born2farm; 01-11-2008 at 10:56 PM.
Old 01-12-2008, 11:26 AM
LawnSite Member

Koodo's to born2farm for such an aggressive attitude. Keep it up and don't let down. Not many 15 year olds doing this. Are you homeschooled?
Old 01-12-2008, 01:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm at $90.00 per hour for clean ups.
Old 01-12-2008, 06:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

how many guys do you have Epic???
Old 01-13-2008, 01:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azlelawncare View Post
Koodo's to born2farm for such an aggressive attitude. Keep it up and don't let down. Not many 15 year olds doing this. Are you homeschooled?

no im not homeschooled. i got to school 8-4 and do all my work after it. thats for the koodos. i try my best.