Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-16-2007, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

railroad tie wall 135'x10'

getting ready to tear down and rebuild a railroad tie wall. 135'x10' the problem is 1.) that it is right up against another building 2.) it is holding a parking lot up. is there a way to build a temp wall? something cheap, just to hold up for about 5 days until we get it completly rebuilt.

i will try to get sum pics up tom. we r scared it will cave in and realy cause problems.

any ideas? we r going to use a bobcat to tear the old wall down to.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I feel that if you are asking this question you probably shouldn't be building the wall. I mean no offense to you, but there is a lot of liability in a 10' retaining wall, especially one that is holding up a parking lot!
Old 05-16-2007, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I hope your not putting railroad ties back in.

Around here anything over three feet must be a type of concrete wall with reinforment.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm with on BSDeality on this one. You took on a job like this and have to ask a question like this. Not sure what the laws are in your state, but here, any reatining wall over 6' needs to be approved by a state licenced Landscape Architect or engineer.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

10' rr tie wall?!? Wow. I thought you could only go 5' with rr ties before the wall became too unstable to hold back the stuff it is suposed to. I sure hope you are replacing it with some kind of concrete wall with plenty of reinforcement. And I sure as hell would not touch it with out an enginers stamped blue prints.
Old 05-17-2007, 06:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

We have done about 10 walls like this, with railroad ties BUT not close to a building. Just asking how to tear them down, never asked about if I knew what we were doing? Thats a big problem on this site, everyone thinks they know everything, I was just asking what to use to tear it down, not all kind of other crap!

It is for a commercial property and they want railroad ties, they will hold, you need no blueprints or anything in our state for something like this.
The wall that is currently there was there for 25 years, shows how much all of you know. No offense to anyone of you here but please use some common sense while answering questions on the forum! Do not just go ahead and blah about something and then criticize the person. I simply asked about if ANYONE ever had done a wall like this one, RIGHT next to a building, not about blueprints, not about if the wall will be stable or not.

I will ask the same ? again, has anyone ever done a wall like this one before? I will put pics up a little bit later tonight so you can see what I am talking about.
Old 05-17-2007, 07:00 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The structural engineer, who is required by law on walls half that height in any state, should have the "methodology" specified for you. It does not sound like there is a structural engineer involved here. If there is not, you really are placing yourself at huge risk as you are doing the equivalent of building something not to code in a situation where failure can easily kill people.

If there is a structural involved, you should be talking to him. If there is not, you should get one or not take on the job.
Old 05-17-2007, 07:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

We already have the job, it is in our 3 year contract we must do any landscaping, retaining walls, etc etc. We cover 3 counties of western PA for a bank. So we have to do the job no matter what. However, they never said anything about a strutual engineer involved with the job at all. We do not have to give any kind of warranty either. It is basically just tear down the wall, put up a new one, thats it. And also we have to hire someone to do some paving, as our company does not do paving.

My step father is an engineer and is going out to the job this morning. I will be sure to take my digital camera and TRY to post pics up on the site, (not good with doing pictures and then putting them online)

I just need to know how to get in between the wall and the building, im asking for suggestions, not any kind of remarks about not doign the job, etc etc. Thats not the problem the problem is extremly limited work space, which you will see in the pics. With the insurance factor being an issue as well, I just want to assure myself that we are doing it in the safest way possible.
Old 05-17-2007, 07:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

why don't you and your father figure it out, no answers from here with that kind of attitude.

nothing posted was an insult, this is not a job for an amatuer and given your extensive experience you should be fine on your own.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Would love to see the photo's.
It may not be that bad but i think most people that replied were concerned for you and your company. Hope all goes well.