Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-14-2008, 12:22 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Anyone care to share their renewal letter?
Old 01-14-2008, 12:54 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

We used to send out renewal letters, every year we'd get people who wouldn't renew, then they'd call us like in May, all angry because we hadn't done their lawn yet. So we changed our contract.. it just doesn't terminate at the end of the season, it continues till they cancel, or we cancel them.
We send a reminder in the fall, that service will continue, unless they cancel. They also get the opportunity to prepay in the fall to lock in a better price. We send out a second reminder late January reminding them that they are still signed up with us and giving them the opportunity to prepay and receive a discount.
When we schedule our first round in March, we send out notices, we always do, about 4 days prior to service. Every year we get one, maybe worst case 2 dingleberries who don't cancel, and call all upset that we serviced their lawn, I simply point out that they signed our contract, and that underlined and in bold on the service agreement it states that it is their responsibility to cancel, and I remind them of the 3 reminders we sent. Once they see it in that light, they are very reasonable. On the whole, it improves our retention, and we get fewer complaints than we did when they had to renew every year.

"No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
-Thomas Jefferson

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms." - Aristotle
Old 01-14-2008, 08:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric3077 View Post
Anyone care to share their renewal letter?
Here's mine from last year, dated Feb 1. Hoping to get this year's put together this week and out next week, about 2-3 weeks earlier than last year. Notice, no mention of price increase, which was 4% last year. Had 2 complaints out of about 300 letters and a few other cancellations whcih I'm sure were related, but nothing horrible. I don't plan on mentioning this year's price increase either and I am moving up the prepay date to March 15th.

Dear xxxxx, I hope this finds you well and looking forward to spring. We are excited to be planning for another season of grounds maintenance and hope you are looking forward to it as well. Once again, you can save 5% off your year’s service if it is paid in full by April 1, 2007. If you choose to not take advantage of the pre-pay discount, you are always welcome to pay per service, but please confirm service with us by letter, phone, or e-mail. If we don’t here from you by April 1, we will contact you to ensure there will be no changes in service, as required by Michigan Department of Agriculture. I have included a summary of your program below. I have also written in any referral discount you may have from 2006 referrals. I have adjusted the referral program this year to a flat $20 towards 2008 service for any referral that becomes a full service customer. Also, please refer to the important bulletin I have enclosed regarding grub control, crabgrass control, and other “hot topics” for 2007. Thank you very much for your past and future business and we look forward to seeing you in the spring.
Member Mich. Turfgrass Foundation (MTF)