Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-24-2001, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Today was a good day.........

One of my newer customers, a nice little old lady calls me up today and sez "Would you come over and mulch my leaves? I just had a man knock on my door and said he would charge $4 to do it." (her property is pretty small 2000 sq. ft.) So I start totally cracking up and say "$4!!!!!!!!!" lol so I tell here I will be over shortly . So I get to her house and she tells me she just kept telling the man that she already had lawn service and was very happy with it. I thanked her for her loyalty and warned her about "scrubs" and the dangers of hiring someone like that.

First time I ever really dealt directly with a scrub and its good to know my proffessionalism and quality can stand up to the lowball!
Old 10-24-2001, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hehehehe.....$4???? WTF, did he want to go eat at McDonald's after raking leaves? Hahaha...I've had a scrub start mowing a property that I mow next door to me, he didn't even talk to the owner, I personally went over and kicked him off...it was funny, I was like 12 at the time and the guy was probably 30.

Hank
Old 10-24-2001, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Yeah $4 lol I cant think of anything I would do for $4
Old 10-24-2001, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have no clue, if it was something that I'd charge $4 for, I probably wouldn't charge them at all.

Hank
Old 10-24-2001, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Well thats the scrub mentality for ya lol $4
Old 10-24-2001, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

$4

Now I could understand if he said $4.52!

As funny as it is, that is pretty sad. With all the layoffs going on in the country now, there are going to be a whole lot more mustangs pulling lawn trailers, and cars with 21's in the truck running around.

4 bucks is a pretty bizzare amount!

Jay
Old 10-24-2001, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Your doing this all wrong! Get his phone # and set him up to sub out all your leaf jobs too. Now that would be some nice profit for yourself. Be sure to tell him perfection is needed for him to be paid.
Old 10-24-2001, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hoss

Your the man! That is being a real business man!
Jay
Old 10-24-2001, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I think that this post will be appropriate to post my agreesion from an encounter today!

I had a guy stop by while we were doing a FC and he asked me if I would be interested in picking up two new customers because he wasnt going to be coming down this way any longer.

After a few minutes of bs'ing he tells me that they are $20 each and he has been put on OT at his regular job (NYSE&G Meter Reader!!!)

I told him that what I would do was contact NYSE&G and let them know that I could save them thousands of $$$ in labor because instead of paying their crews $14 per man/hr I could sub-contract for $9.40 per man/hr.

He wanted to know why I would do something like that and I replied that it was no different than him offering to do lawn care for 2/3 the actual fair market value.

I then told him that I wish they would pass legislation that would only permit lawn care by certified applicators. This way any lowballing scumbag like him would be smacked in the jaw with a steep fine - say $5k like applying fert w/o a license!!!!!

Thanks for the vent. And no he wasnt interested in offering me anything more after that comment!!!

Kris
Old 10-24-2001, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I like your way of thinking Hoss!!!

I had a guy inquire just yesterday if I would be interested insub-contracting some plowing accounts. He says that he has all the legalities on file and that he would appreciaite anything that I could do for him.

I have seven houses where all the clients go to florida for the winter close to the same block. If his pricing of $10-15 plow works out I will make $20 each for not doing anything. If his work pans out I may sub him for all the snow work.

Kris