Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-15-2008, 12:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICT Bill View Post
Gerry,
What about extracted compost teas?
Sounds instant to me, or as instant as you can get. You can make up 100's and even 1000's of gallons of compost tea in just a few minutes.

SGI in Texas can make up 3000 gallons of compost tea in 1 hour

Gerry, I'll show you my SFI results if you show me yours
Compost Extract is NOT compost tea either. You know that as well. You are just marketing your product and trying to hype that it's instant compost tea, when in effect, its not compost tea.

With compost extract, the organisms are not as active, not growing as rapidly, as if you add food to the extract and allow the organisms time to grow like in real compost tea.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would argue they are both "extracts" as you are "extracting" organisms from the compost. The primary differences are the amounts of raw material required and the additional step in ACT that grows the organisms.

I'm curious if anyone has tried using a bottled extract instead of compost as your biological source in an ACT.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:25 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I assume Humate would be a bottled extract, I know people use it when making ACT. I guess you could grow it out, some is extremely biologically active
I hear people talking about using Alaska Humus to make ACT and using extraction methods on it but have never used it
I know Carol Ann, a good friend of the soil food web group and co author with Elaine, makes a packaged instant compost tea. I believe she uses a special packaging so that the beneficials can resperate (sp?) 12 month shelf life
There are mycorrhizae and bacterial packages that you can add when making ACT or extracting I don't know if that counts as bottled though.

I believe we (I) have hijacked someone elses thread
Old 01-15-2008, 04:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
I assume Humate would be a bottled extract, I know people use it when making ACT. I guess you could grow it out, some is extremely biologically active
I hear people talking about using Alaska Humus to make ACT and using extraction methods on it but have never used it
I know Carol Ann, a good friend of the soil food web group and co author with Elaine, makes a packaged instant compost tea. I believe she uses a special packaging so that the beneficials can resperate (sp?) 12 month shelf life
There are mycorrhizae and bacterial packages that you can add when making ACT or extracting I don't know if that counts as bottled though.

I believe we (I) have hijacked someone elses thread

I think that we call agree that they are totally different products (compost tea vs compost extract). Some argue that the extract allows for a slow release of organisms as they come out of dormancy in different periods of the year based on temps and other environmental conditions. Compost tea has the advantage of requiring a small amount of compost, a relatively short brewing cycle and a large quantity of organisms.

I've looked at a couple of instant compost teas and liquid compost products under the microscope and haven't seen anything worth putting on plants. That being said, I've never looked at Bill's or Betsy Ross' product and they sound much more knowledgeable and credible than the people I got my test samples from. Personally, I'm withholding opinion until I can get some under a microscope, but I do agree with Bill in that instant compost tea could potentially fill a niche for users who don't have the time or energy to brew the tea (mostly for commerical applications).

~Tad
Old 01-15-2008, 04:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

One other question for Bill....

You lost me on the post about humate and alaska humus. Are you seeing those as the same thing?

We use alaska humus as 1/3 of the compost component of our tea. As for the humate though, the stuff we get is a black powder and has high organic matter content, but no active or dormant biology. Rather it serves as a nutrient source and provides other benefits due to the complexity of the molecule.

~Tad
Old 01-15-2008, 05:05 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I don't actually know what I'm talking about Tad
I have heard of people using the ALaska Humus for growing out ACT, I probably misunderstood that it was just part of a mix. I have no experience with it though
I saw some stuff that an organic distributor in Baltimore had, he claimed it was extremely biologically active and could be used to grow out as a compost tea, but sometimes you can't believe everything you hear

I am not as experienced as you but I do have a cursory knowledge about humates and am always open to more information on the subject.

What was this thread about? someone jog my memory please

HIJACK in progress
Old 01-15-2008, 05:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've made my AACT using Alaska Humus instead of compost. It is actually superior to compost. The best is a combination of Alaska Humus, wormcastings and compost. Then you will have the most diversity.

And there is no such thing as instant compost tea. It doesn't exist. That's somebody's marketing hype trying to pass something off that it isn't. It's baloney.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
I don't actually know what I'm talking about Tad
I have heard of people using the ALaska Humus for growing out ACT, I probably misunderstood that it was just part of a mix. I have no experience with it though
I saw some stuff that an organic distributor in Baltimore had, he claimed it was extremely biologically active and could be used to grow out as a compost tea, but sometimes you can't believe everything you hear

I am not as experienced as you but I do have a cursory knowledge about humates and am always open to more information on the subject.

What was this thread about? someone jog my memory please

HIJACK in progress
Alaska Humus is high in biology and a wonderful product, but it's not humate. There is a big difference between those two products. Don't have time to get too into it right now. Maybe we're due for a thread on humates and humic acid?

~Tad
Old 01-16-2008, 09:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'd like to point out that 'Alaska Humus' is a brand name of a product from Alaska produced by Jeff Lowenfels and Wayne Lewis and the product which Tad uses is Alaska Magic which calls itself humus. In my opinion and from observations posted on my website this product is microbially active with food added, however (IN MY OPINION) calling it humus is a stretch as there are a lot of whole recognizable sphagnum peat leaves in it. I have observed this in my lab, at Yelm worm farm and at Tad's. That does not mean that it is not good to use. If you wish to experiment with a less expensive alternative try Canadian Sphagnum peat moss. It is very similar since it is harvested from similar 'permafrost' areas. Video of it, is also posted on my website.

Concerning liquid amendments to enhance or even create compost tea look at the video footage of fed Terracycle on my website. I'm soory but the moderator has told me I'm not permitted to post a link to my website but Tad has posted it in another thread.

Salutations,
Tim
Old 01-16-2008, 11:25 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

They are pretty touchy on here about giving out business information
Terracycle, don't get me started. Talk about snakeoil