Register free!

Old 01-17-2008, 03:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wilson View Post
When I asked Jeff and Wayne about Alaska Magic, if my memory serves me right, they said it was a totally different company from theirs' Alaska Humus. I will double check.

Salutations,
Tim
Just want to set the record straight that Alaska Magic and Alaska Humus are 2 different companies. Alaska Magic or "Denali gold" is sold by Tim Felegy and Alaska Humus is from Jeff Lownefels. Both proprietors claim to get their product from similar sources (Tim used to get AH from Jeff and sell that but they had a falling out).

I have not compared the two products side by side because it is very difficult to get unless you order in extremely large quantities. In know Jeff is in the process of setting up distributors to the lower 48 but haven't heard anything since June on that one.

I'm not sure who is affiliated with the Arctic Humus....

~Tad

PS: in my opinion they are all fairly comparable products at this point in time.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:59 AM
LawnSite Member

turbo5560. You live about 15 miles from one of the largest turkey farms in the country. Bil-mar. They may have somebody local who is composting poultry manure.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Mr. Miller.
What is a good "LOCAL"(Illinois) company to get compost from?
Old 01-18-2008, 02:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wilson View Post
Hello everyone, I thought I might hear from you Gerry. Elaine is simply mistaken if she calls this humus. It is indeed composted 'to a certain stage'. This is very obvious under the microscope and you are free to look at the images in the video I shot which illustrates this. Pictures don't lie. Just because I did not stick through one boring major routine to get Dr. planted in front of my name does not mean that I am unable to think scientifically. I studied a much broader range during my education including, biology, physiology, special education, physiological psychology and a smattering of this and that. I make mistakes though and so does Elaine. I have corrected some errors for her in private and she has helped me.

I made sure I did not mis-identify the sphagnum in Alaska Magic. I looked at samples from three different purchased sources. I consulted with a minor expert and a major expert to be sure I was correct. If you insist I'll post his email to me along with his credentials. Alaska Magic has a large amounts of sphagnum peat in it. It may not be identical to Canadian Sphagnum peat (CSP) bales but CSP is also microbially active in very similar fashion. Admitedly it varies from batch to batch. I use it cause it's extremely cheap and because I'm a real 'gardener' <GRIN> with a real microscope. I have the luxury of checking for microbes ahead of time.

For Tad Alaska Magic is good because it is consistent for a mix that he is distributing. I'm just pointing out that the home or farm gardener might save some $ by trying CSP.

As for the definition of humus, as I have noted before, it is illusive; sometimes described as a paste gel-type substance (this is real compost); or very fine totally composted brown to black material. Generally it is agreed (I think) that there should be no recognizable plant material as there is in Alaska Magic. Absolutely composted material has nothing recognizable; no partial sticks, no partial leaves.

When I asked Jeff and Wayne about Alaska Magic, if my memory serves me right, they said it was a totally different company from theirs' Alaska Humus. I will double check.

Kiril your logic stands.

Salutations,
Tim
Elaine made a mistake????? It couldn't have been you, right Tim. I'll still take Dr. Ingham's word for it, thank you.

Like I've already stated, they are two different companies selling the same thing.
Old 01-18-2008, 02:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Lawnscapes View Post
Mr. Miller.
What is a good "LOCAL"(Illinois) company to get compost from?
I don't use compost any more on my lawn. I purchase compost tea kits from KIS for my AACT. But if you have someone local that sells compost, make sure it has been tested and contains the biology you need.
Old 01-18-2008, 03:20 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Perfect
I do not know where you are located but try these guys, looks like a great product
http://www.compostmatters.com/organimix.asp
There is also the US composting council, but I have tried their website several times but it is not working for some reason today
Old 01-18-2008, 03:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

http://attra.ncat.org/attra-pub/orgfert.php
Old 01-18-2008, 04:31 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Miller View Post
Elaine made a mistake????? It couldn't have been you, right Tim. I'll still take Dr. Ingham's word for it, thank you.
Yes, well unless she disagrees with you on global warming as being a hoax perpetuated by far left radical extremists. You told her to stick to what she knows.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 01-18-2008, 04:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasthound View Post
Yes, well unless she disagrees with you on global warming as being a hoax perpetuated by far left radical extremists. You told her to stick to what she knows.
Did this really happen? Gerry disagreeing with Dr. Ingham?
Old 01-18-2008, 04:38 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Not in a million years, next time I see her I am going to ask her to say something completely rediculous and send it to Gerry

Barry is referring to other threads that Gerry started