Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-14-2008, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Member

wheel hub removal HELP!

I have a scag Turf Tiger, I am replacing the wheel motors. Only problem is that, I can not get the wheel hubs off. At least the one side I have not been able to get it to budge. Any Ideas? I was using a three jaw puller with a little heat.
36 Scag WB w/ Sulke
2x Echo 261t trimmer
Echo 260 edger
Shindiawa EB8510 blower
Echo PB-251 blower
Echo HC-150 hedge trimmer
Echo PPT-260 pole saw
Husky 338xpt
Husky 346xp
Old 01-14-2008, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

do you have good studs? the tool used is a, I believe, a flat plate with a wheel stud pattern in it that uses the wheel studs to apply pressure to the axle making the hub "pop" off. if your studs are gone or damaged you may have to get very creative! Your dealer might let you borrow the tool if they have one. We used the dealers last winter only took a couple of hours pickup to return.
John Deere 318 w/ snow blade
Arctic Cat 500 w/ snow blade
International 284 tractor
Cadet tractors- 1250, 1000
100 & 124 in full pulling trim!

Last edited by Ridin' Around; 01-14-2008 at 10:17 PM.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i use the three jaw puller a LOT of heat and a BIG hammer dont hit the hub wack the puller bolt and it should pop off. be carefull i have seen them "pop" all the way accross the shop lol
Old 01-18-2008, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Member

On one of my Exmarks I had to use a hydralic 3 jaw puller and a sledge hammer and it did go across the shop.
Old 01-19-2008, 12:11 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawman65 View Post
i use the three jaw puller a LOT of heat and a BIG hammer dont hit the hub wack the puller bolt and it should pop off. be carefull i have seen them "pop" all the way accross the shop lol
I would not do this, your replacing your wheel motors but if you were not it can melt the seal on the wheel motor and the three jaw puller can warp the hub from some manufactures. I would only use a hub puller, cheap and no need for heat. But to each his own

http://www.shop.com/HUB_PULLER_-1712...49961-p!.shtml

Life is an unrelenting comedy. Therein lies the tragedy of it.

How can I soar like an eagle, when I'm surrounded by turkeys?
Old 01-20-2008, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i never would have told him to do it this way if he was not gona replace the wheel motors lol. by the way where ya from in south fl? i used to live in miami till andrew came to town that was enough for me.
Old 01-20-2008, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

No prob, just not a fan of 3 jaw pullers on the hubs after having to eat one for a customers repair years ago. Been pretty quiet here since Andrew what was that like 14 years ago, had one blow though my area 2 years ago no power for a couple weeks but no damage to my property. I live in Fort Liquordale lol

Life is an unrelenting comedy. Therein lies the tragedy of it.

How can I soar like an eagle, when I'm surrounded by turkeys?
Old 01-21-2008, 11:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

man i use to love going to the "strip" back in the 80's i hear its all hotels now all the way down a1a real sad.
and yes i had to put a seal kit in one that one of my guys did this way.it was a parker ross so no damage to the shaft but the seals were cooked. only trouble is to get all the seals you got to get the bearing kit also. cost like 100.00 usd. now if you was to do this to one of those cheap hydro gear wheel motors it may be toast when you are done.
i used to work at joe blairs over in north miami was there for like 8 years till i packed up and moved to the mountians.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Take the wheel off. Loosen the spindle bolt and unthread it a little. Do not remove the bolt yet. Use an air chisel with the point. Put the chisel on medium or higher if necessary and get a pry bar and pry against the spindel hub while your hitting the wheel motor shaft with the air chisel. There shopuld be a hole or impression in the wheel motor shaft (the part that the nut threads onto to) that you can put the point of the chisel in to keep the chisel from riding. That's how I do it and it always has worked for me. Try it, let me know how you did.
Old 09-15-2013, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Loose Lug Nuts / Big Problem

When I first noticed a peculiar movement of the wheel being loose, it was too late. From the pictures you can see the wheel lug holes are really wollered (if that is a word) out and the Wheel Hub Assembly is toast as well. The Studs were completely loose in the Hub and will require replacing the hub.
So, The question I have, (that has been replied to in this thread a few years ago), is how do I get the Wheel hub off? From the second photo, you can see I have a 3 prong gear puller installed trying to break it loose. I have sprayed with penetrating fluid and have applied pressure with the gear puller and whacked with a hammer numerous times. No joy.... My thought is to let it set with pressure applied and penetrating fluid working and repeat several times...Does this have a chance of working??, or do I have to get the torch out?? Don't want to do that with the hydraulic motor so close, can't be good....

Is there any repair to the wheel rim that can be done. I think this might be the expensive part to replace...I think I read, you have to replace the tire and wheel as an assembly... Can anyone confirm that.
As soon
Attached Images