Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-15-2008, 12:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnTamer View Post
Brett,
That reminds me Fyshsticker and I were talking and he says he wants to get together.... we'll see if he remembers this time
Bet it was nice coming home from the cruise to snow and cold. I know I froze my butt off after a 11 days in Israel.
I think John (Fyshstkr) needs to buy us dinner this time....After all it was his idea to get together and then he doesn't show.
Old 01-15-2008, 02:26 PM
LawnSite Member

we have been in business since 1977.

My dad started in 77 and it was just my dad myself and my brother. My brother moved to elko nevada and started there in 93 and I moved there and helped him get started. Those were the days of 12-15K a month profit with 2 crews. We were Northern Nevada. Then I left on my mission in 97 brother got out of it in 99 but my dad was a one man show from the time we left to elko to now. And I started back up when I came back from my mission but went out on my own. Dad still does Lawns and I help him every now and then when he cant keep up and I cant find good help to have another crew so Im solo right now and I dont mind it either. I know I could do alot more with a couple other guys but I might have to wait until my sons get a little older. My oldest is turns 7 this year so I might get him started. He can run the 21'' right now pretty good.

Absolute Total Lawn Care and Landscape LLC.
" WE ARE THE COMPETITION "

2007 DODGE 2500 (CUMMINGS)
2007 DIXIE CHOPPER 44''
2000 Exmark Viking 36"
2002 Honda's 21'' (2)
2000 Shindaiwa trimmers (3), Shindaiwa Blower
Old 01-15-2008, 03:45 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlcutah View Post
My dad started in 77 and it was just my dad myself and my brother. My brother moved to elko nevada and started there in 93 and I moved there and helped him get started. Those were the days of 12-15K a month profit with 2 crews. We were Northern Nevada. Then I left on my mission in 97 brother got out of it in 99 but my dad was a one man show from the time we left to elko to now. And I started back up when I came back from my mission but went out on my own. Dad still does Lawns and I help him every now and then when he cant keep up and I cant find good help to have another crew so Im solo right now and I dont mind it either. I know I could do alot more with a couple other guys but I might have to wait until my sons get a little older. My oldest is turns 7 this year so I might get him started. He can run the 21'' right now pretty good.
Interesting. Where did you go in '97? I went to Iceland. Can I ask a weird question..... Is your last name Polynesian?

"No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
-Thomas Jefferson

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms." - Aristotle
Old 01-15-2008, 07:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Went to Georgia in 97 and...

yeah last name is Tongan. I will call those people In Saratoga and in EM and let them know that I have found someone to take care of their lawn. Do you send out a letter to your customers or do you just call them? I send a letter at the beginning of every season around the beginning of february. But my old customers call me when they want me to do the spring clean up and all that stuff. But after I talk to them I will PM you and give you their info. And if you dont come pass 70th and you get any calls from people north of 70th maybe you could swing em my way. But you know how it is..... usually get so busy that you dont want to take on any more work! lol.

2007 DIXIE CHOPPER 44''
2000 Exmark Viking 36"
2002 Honda's 21'' (2)
Old 01-15-2008, 07:23 PM
LawnSite Member

hey.....

How was Iceland by the way?

2007 DIXIE CHOPPER 44''
2000 Exmark Viking 36"
2002 Honda's 21'' (2)
Old 01-15-2008, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
How was Iceland by the way?
Feyfey haki brother!

Don't know how to spell that, but I hope you know what I mean. I had a good friend in the MTC from Tonga, Elder Tausinga. I taught him English. He was awesome. 6'2" probably 220-230 nearly solid muscle. He played football at Liahona high, at any school here he would have been a center or a nose-guard, there he played wide receiver! Great guy. He taught me the most important words in Tongan faleyMalolo (sp?)

Anyway, Iceland was great, like they say, the best 2 yrs of your life. There were only 8 missionaries there so we are very tight, I came home almost 15 yrs ago and we are all still tight, we go shooting together and get all the wives and kids and go out to dinner or 4-wheeling.

I can probably send you some clients, if you have room. Wells always fills up too. Last year about June I changed my phone message to, "Hi, you've reached Evergreen, all our routes are currently full, if you are an existing client..... " But we had a few sell houses, and 3 clients lost their jobs, (2 were mortgage brokers... great lawns, striped like canvas) so we have a few openings.

We send out a packet to all our clients, going out this week and next week, it just lists their price for all our various services they check which boxes they want, and we go from there.

-Thomas Jefferson

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms." - Aristotle
Old 01-15-2008, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Member

thats great! Malo aupito!(thank You)

Tausinga is a popular name. so did you grow up here? in SLC? I remember when I was younger going out and mowing with my dad..... this is like mid
80's and I dont remember seeing so many mowing crews out there like there is now. I thought landscaping and stuff was for poor colored folk when I was growing up. lol but little did I know how much money was out there to be made that it wasnt just minorities out there doing this kind of work.But its good to see that there is still money to be made out there even though there is so much competition! The only problem that I have been getting is alot of hispanics here lowballing me. I had like 5 people quit last year because a crew of 8 hispanics told them that they would do each of their houses for 10-15 dollars a piece! The only bad thing was that about 2 months later they all called back wanting me to mow their lawn again. They didnt know what day those guys would come. it was different every week. And all five lived on the same street. I was half tempted to say no I wont do it just cuz of my pride but I have a hard time saying no so I went back. Any ways I wanted to ask you about that pic of the lawn you have next to your name.......do you guys use striping kits with your mowers? Because those are some nice stripes! And what kind of equipment you guys use? Just curious. I want to get a new mower to replace my 36" exmark but I dont know what to get. I like the wright stander and I like that it doesnt take up much room in the trailer. But I like and love the walkers but just to dang expensive. But I might get a used one. But I cant decide so just thought i would ask what type of mowers you guys are running?

2007 DIXIE CHOPPER 44''
2000 Exmark Viking 36"
2002 Honda's 21'' (2)
Old 01-15-2008, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Tausinga is a popular name. so did you grow up here? in SLC? I remember when I was younger going out and mowing with my dad..... this is like mid
80's and I dont remember seeing so many mowing crews out there like there is now. I thought landscaping and stuff was for poor colored folk when I was growing up. lol but little did I know how much money was out there to be made that it wasnt just minorities out there doing this kind of work.But its good to see that there is still money to be made out there even though there is so much competition! The only problem that I have been getting is alot of hispanics here lowballing me. I had like 5 people quit last year because a crew of 8 hispanics told them that they would do each of their houses for 10-15 dollars a piece! The only bad thing was that about 2 months later they all called back wanting me to mow their lawn again. They didnt know what day those guys would come. it was different every week. And all five lived on the same street. I was half tempted to say no I wont do it just cuz of my pride but I have a hard time saying no so I went back. Any ways I wanted to ask you about that pic of the lawn you have next to your name.......do you guys use striping kits with your mowers? Because those are some nice stripes! And what kind of equipment you guys use? Just curious. I want to get a new mower to replace my 36" exmark but I dont know what to get. I like the wright stander and I like that it doesnt take up much room in the trailer. But I like and love the walkers but just to dang expensive. But I might get a used one. But I cant decide so just thought i would ask what type of mowers you guys are running?
I run Toro, I am a big fan of the T-bar steering system, it gives hydro-drive productivity with belt-drive price and simplicity. I made a stripe roller, but I don't ever use it, the mowers seem to stripe OK by themselves, if I want to really lay some stripes I have a low-rider sulky I built that I am quite fond of.
I tried out a Wright Stander at a dealership a year ago, it was really sweet. I tried out a Walker for a day, it cut nice, but it was slow compared to the T-bars and sucked on hills. Hills that any mower I've ever used would climb right up, the Walker couldn't manage. About half of my accounts are on the east bench, very hilly, so the T-bars are great.

Here are some pics, they are from last July, during the heat wave, so there are some dry spots.

A back lawn we mow, a little heat stressed, but striped pretty nice.
Name:  stripes baby.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  460.5 KB

Me coming out of a lawn on a T-bar, I am 6'1" and you can see I don't need to bend down to reach the controls, even though I'm riding the sulky
Name:  me on a T-bar.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  97.1 KB

Some helpers cleaning up, took a month for those dry spots to recover.
Name:  blowing.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  87.7 KB

-Thomas Jefferson

Old 01-15-2008, 11:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Nice work!

You know I have never been into taking pictures of my work and stuff but I am really going to get into that this year. I am buying my wife a new camara so I can take the one she has now. So I will keep it with me all the time! Your Toro looks like my exmark.....Its been a work horse! Ive always like how the toros cut! Even the 21 inch mowers. I am going to buy a 21 inch toro this spring. I am about done with Hondas. I have had 3 hondas in the last 6years and they all had tranny problems. So its time to try something else. I have an old Snapper that is 12 years old that hasnt had as many problems as my hondas. And that snapper with the subaru robin engine has been great over the years. No problems with the mower just had to replace the catcher and the belts.Do u bag the grass or no? I bag and I hate it!!!!!! But customers always ask me to bag. In july and august I try not to bag as much as I can though. Thats funny about your voicemail. I just shut off my phone and told my customers that if they needed anything to call my home number. I get sick of talking to people especially come may and june. New customers calling I dont look forward to that! I tried to pawn off to my wife and she wont do it anymore. lol. What dealer do you use for servicing your equipment and all that?

2007 DIXIE CHOPPER 44''
2000 Exmark Viking 36"
2002 Honda's 21'' (2)
Old 01-15-2008, 11:58 PM
LawnSite Member

T bar?

Is it easier than the pistol grip to control?

2007 DIXIE CHOPPER 44''
2000 Exmark Viking 36"
2002 Honda's 21'' (2)