Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-16-2008, 02:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Is this good for Va climate....

I'm probably going to throw my hat in the sealcoating ring this spring/summer. I called two companies about pricing and what they use. Both use oil base/gilsonite.....is that what I should use in central Va??

Anyone in/near Va....what do you use and what is your mix like....water, sand, additives (brand name please), per gallon of sealer?

v/r
Gary
Old 01-16-2008, 02:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Nitro, I worked in Northern Va. and have used latex based coal tar emulsion. I would steer clear of the oil based companies, in fact i am surprised you actually found some. In northern va the vast majority of sealcoaters used latex based sealer. I am always surprised to find people using oil based sealer, oil based sealant will seep into the asphalt and actually make the pavement softer!! I've literally seen tire spots where the car sits after someone had their driveway sealed with oil based sealant. - Chris
Old 01-16-2008, 03:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That is what I remember

people saying last year when I first started researching. I'll have to find the two websites I found for my area on bigyellow.com. But these guys explain that gilsonite actually lets the ashpalt breath while the other sealer type doesn't and that is worse for the pavement. Pavement doesn't wear out....it dries out....is what is claimed on one site. So the oil based stuff is best....they claim.

I'm confused...never using any of it and so many different points of view it can drive ya crazy trying to come up w/ your own system.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Interesting argument, but i would think that the elements (rain, snow, sleet, heavy traffic) would have a much more significant impact vs. the downside of coal tar not allowing the pavement to "breathe". Honestly that is the first time i have heard of that claim against coal tar. Plus, Coal tar protects the driveway from all the elements previously listed....oil based applications clearly do not.
Old 02-17-2008, 06:00 PM
LawnSite Member

the type of sealer

well i been using the product.. seaboard gilsonite sealer Ln-11 ive been in business 3 years now when i got in too paving 12 years ago many big companys out of richmond still use this product. there is two ways of buying it buy a 5- gallon bucket or get it pump in your tank from a supplier. plus i donot cut my product i do heated too about a temp. 125 F - but i dont spray it down unless the temp is 50F or above. if have anymore ?? post back best of luck !
Old 02-21-2008, 04:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by primeseal View Post
well i been using the product.. seaboard gilsonite sealer Ln-11 ive been in business 3 years now when i got in too paving 12 years ago many big companys out of richmond still use this product. there is two ways of buying it buy a 5- gallon bucket or get it pump in your tank from a supplier. plus i donot cut my product i do heated too about a temp. 125 F - but i dont spray it down unless the temp is 50F or above. if have anymore ?? post back best of luck !
does anybody understand what he wrote
Old 02-21-2008, 11:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yes...

I even looked up the product he uses online. And I was going to ask him more questions.

Like how to heat the product?? Does that have to be done to use gilsonite? What mix/cut does he use?

I hope gilsonite works in Va because from what I was told, gilsonite works great w/ a trash pump system. That is what I'll start w/ because I want to seal my own driveway first...and in the years to come.

Primeseal - Do you ad sand to gilsonite??

Thanks guys.

Peace,
Gary
Old 02-24-2008, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Member

hey nitro121 - i do not add sand unless less the customer ask for it .tho i don't mix sand in my sealer it will mess up my pump. i do spray the sealer down and then use black sand put it down by hand. also the pump i use is a viking gear pump model# H32 and there is two ways to heat the sealer the pump will heat it up but it takes longer you can put a torch system on a steel tank the flash point of sealer temp 200F i would'nt heated pass of temp 150F every body got there way of sealing i just learned it from big corp. asphalt paving companys over the years. plus i have two units one is 150 gallons the other is 300 gallons i also buy in bulk its cheaper if you go that way.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:32 AM
LawnSite Member

Oil based sealers look good for about a year, AE OR CT will stay looking good for 2+ years

In my area oil based sealers are illegal
At $3+ a Gallon it doesen't make sense to use

www.clbutlerpaving.com

Asphalt Paving.
Tree & Lawn services.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Primeseal....

do you have to heat gilsonite to spray it?

v/r
Gary