Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-16-2008, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Franchise: Lawn Doctor or Weedman

Does anyone here own or have a relationship with a "Weed and Feed" franchise. Example: Lawn Doctor or Weedman.

I would like the pros and cons of owning such franchises.

DJ
2007 EverRide Warrior 54" Deck w/25 HP Kawasaki
2007 Toro 36" Turbo Force, T-Bar/15 HP Kawasaki
2005 Toro Proline 48" Float Deck w/15 HP Kawasaki
Few Echo and Sthil Handhelds and Backpack Blowers

Matthew 6:33, "But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well"
Old 01-16-2008, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I once owned a service franchise, though not in lawn care, all it did was give me the bug to start my own business. I couldn't wait to get out of it...

Few of the negative things I remember were that I was basically an employee but one that took the risks of a business owner. I would never have been able to grow to a point where I wouldn't have to "work" because as business increased, more franchises were sold.

I also had a brother in law that had a franchise in a Pizza outfit. He got locked into buying all the food products at fixed prices and when everyone else started advertising 2 for 1, then 3 for 1, he couldn't compete and lost everything.

Oh yeah, don't forget that they will make you sign a non compete clause so if you did want to start your own business..
Old 01-16-2008, 11:44 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Military Lawns View Post
Does anyone here own or have a relationship with a "Weed and Feed" franchise. Example: Lawn Doctor or Weedman.

I would like the pros and cons of owning such franchises.

DJ
I know of a Weedman franchise that's caught up in the process of personal bankruptcy in this general area right now.

I'd want to steer clear of " buying " into that name for a while, especially not knowing if poor management / poor service contributed in any way to the owner's financial problems.

People remember...
Old 01-17-2008, 12:26 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

they all want too much money.. they don't have anything special... you could do the same thingon your own with a similar investment in advertizing
Old 01-17-2008, 01:03 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayholio View Post
they all want too much money.. they don't have anything special... you could do the same thingon your own with a similar investment in advertizing
Hey Ray,
I checked out your web site the other day...Not too shabby! Ive been through Joplin a few times. you aren't too far up the road from me. I agree with your statement.It's tough to start a biz. Other than the name recognition, why give them your money. My local lawn doc tried to sell me his franchise last year. He wanted out. They have to sign a 20 yr deal. Upfront money then corporate gets I think 15% off the top every year. I was friends with the guy. I would have had to take the name and sign the same deal. I told him "you and I have nearly the same number of customers. Why would I want to give them a piece of my pie along with yours? Thanks but No Thanks! He said they do get national pricing on products and some other perks.

"Opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"- Thomas Edison, businessman/inventor
Old 01-17-2008, 03:20 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted putnam View Post
Hey Ray,
I checked out your web site the other day...Not too shabby! Ive been through Joplin a few times. you aren't too far up the road from me. I agree with your statement.It's tough to start a biz. Other than the name recognition, why give them your money.
Thanks for the compliments on the web site.. I worked hard on it, and then totally redesigned it last year... Actually did all the work myself.

Next time you come thru here, I'll buy ya a drink!

Yeah.. I let the 'weed man' come see me last year.. I think I rember him wanting like 25K per year per vehicle.. + I would have to do things exactly thier way.. no thanks. no one here (potential customers) has ever heard of them anyhow! So.. name recognition isn't there either.
Old 01-17-2008, 03:54 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

It's a little bit like leasing a car, you never really own it.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Information

Thanks for all of the information. I believe the research that I have done is consistent with the statements that I am seeing here.

I do not believe that it would be financially feasible owning one of these franchises. I also made some phone calls and unfortunately, no one had not one good thing to say about these particular franchises.

Now, I am not saying that they are not viable or credible, just that they are not for me. Again, thanks for all of your input.

DJ-
2007 EverRide Warrior 54" Deck w/25 HP Kawasaki
2007 Toro 36" Turbo Force, T-Bar/15 HP Kawasaki
2005 Toro Proline 48" Float Deck w/15 HP Kawasaki
Few Echo and Sthil Handhelds and Backpack Blowers

Matthew 6:33, "But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well"
Old 01-17-2008, 11:11 AM
LawnSite Member

lawn america

Whats anyone's opinion on Lawn America, some of you may have never heard of them before. They are in Tulsa, OK; Norman, OK: Dallas/Ft Worth, and NW Arkansas. Anyone have any opinions on this outfit????
Old 01-17-2008, 05:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

YO

Run the other way as fast as you can.

Let me qualify me reply first by saying Lawn Doctor sued me in federal court over trade mark. The word "Doctor" was the only like word in my former name. But the law is about who has the more money to spend on lawyers, not justice. I lost my name, but I made sure it cost them big bucks in both lawyer fees and their pay off to me. But take that as a lesson about franchisees.

For less money than you would spend on a franchisee, you can seek the advice of a business professional and not have to keep paying royalties the rest of your business life. In my area they low ball price as there marketing method. In a time of raising costs, margin is an important factor. paying a royalty the rest of your business life will get old very quick. They will make you sign a iron clad contract and have the money to enforce it.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.