Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-17-2008, 12:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Having a problem mixing 46-0-0

I have a 200 gal lesco tank. When i am mixing my 46-0-0 it seem to always clog up my tank. I try do pour it in as slow as possible but it does not dissolve fast enough an pile up at the bottom of the tank. What am i doing wrong. Is there a better way to mix it?

Old 01-17-2008, 01:05 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Try using warm water, or leave the strainer in and work the urea through the strainer.

"No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
-Thomas Jefferson

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms." - Aristotle
Old 01-17-2008, 02:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

One of our trucks seemed to always have the same problem until we figured out that the outflow opening in the tank was directly below the fill. we moved the opening to the end of the tank so that the material does'nt drop directly into the hose.

Doug
Austreim Landscaping
Old 01-17-2008, 03:02 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougaustreim View Post
One of our trucks seemed to always have the same problem until we figured out that the outflow opening in the tank was directly below the fill. we moved the opening to the end of the tank so that the material does'nt drop directly into the hose.

Doug
Austreim Landscaping
I had the same problem on one of my tanks. I turned one of the jets to where it points directly over the main suction. It didn't completely solve the problem but helped a bunch. I still have to pour it in slower. I also listen to the pump. It changes it's sound when it begins to labor. When I hear this change I immediately slow the amount I am pouring in.Taking a little more time beats unclogging a tank.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Hey dude -- I started w/ChemLawn in Dallas in the late 70's. I started my own company back here in 1990. I bought the best 46-0-0 (Scotts) for mixing with water, but I still experienced the same thing. Since then, we switched to liquid fert, and we never had a prob since. Nutraflo -- good stuff.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:16 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

best way

Go liquid :cry
Old 01-17-2008, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

NOt sure if your tank has the strainer set up inside the liquid but when we added 46 we would usually dissolve it into the tank when adding water through the strainer. It would take abit of time but far less time than having to clear the plugged line. I know when we have a bulk water tank we had a built in injection tank that would add the 46 as we pumped into the truck tank, was really sweet then. Those days are gone now, we don't use liquid any longer for fertility, at least for turf applications.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Welcome to the urea melters club Xtreme lawn. Huge problem. Above suggestions are good. In addition, I use an elaborate triple filter sustem inside the tank. First I have a stainless steel mesh screen over the pick up pipe, (held on with 2" screw clamp). On top of this I have a plastic mesh cage glued to the tank with silicone acquarium sealer. On top of this I have fiberglass window screen. It is sealed to the side of tank and floor of the tank with Gorilla Glue. In theory--the urea never gets close to the pickup pipe. Too bad the tank companies can't put a screen in front of the pickup tube.

I am sure there are other methods. Lets hear them.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
Welcome to the urea melters club Xtreme lawn. Huge problem. Above suggestions are good. In addition, I use an elaborate triple filter sustem inside the tank. First I have a stainless steel mesh screen over the pick up pipe, (held on with 2" screw clamp). On top of this I have a plastic mesh cage glued to the tank with silicone acquarium sealer. On top of this I have fiberglass window screen. It is sealed to the side of tank and floor of the tank with Gorilla Glue. In theory--the urea never gets close to the pickup pipe. Too bad the tank companies can't put a screen in front of the pickup tube.

I am sure there are other methods. Lets hear them.
Your other option, although not a cheap one if you already have the sprayer is a different pump. I have my 8 yr old D-30 which is the one I was referring to in the last post but this new sprayer I bought from Westheffer last year is the bomb. It has a Udor R-70 pump that runs 20 gals a minute. It absolutely eats bags of Urea for lunch. As fast as I can pour them in.... I just thought of it. Something else that may help is..the Westheffer unit has the main suction coming in from the side of the tank with an elbow pointed down inside the tank. That probably has a lot to do with it not clogging. I will tell you though,that pump jamz!
Old 01-18-2008, 09:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Never had the problem of disolving 46-0-0! Are we talking sprayable or spreadable?
It makes a differance.
mount airy, md 21771-0630