Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-17-2008, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

High lift dump on Walker

I noticed on Walkers' web site that the high dump can be purchased and field installed. Has anyone on here ever done this? I also heard that these are from another company. Does anyone know who this company is and do they sell direct? I feel I made three mistakes when I ordered my Walker---should have got a 26efi, comfort seat and high dump.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The "original" high dump was made by a company called "All Seasons" It was a scissor type lift. It actually dumped a little higher than the new hi-dump that is actually made by, or at least made for and only sold through Walker. The all seasons lift you bought from them directly. the Walker hi-dump you have to buy from Walker. I'm unsure if you can still even buy the All seasons lift of not...

I'm sure you have researched, but the high-dump, either one, has some adverse effects on the machine. They raise the catcher box about 3", which dosn't sound like a lot, but to see them in person, it's really high! You loose the ability to mow under low trees... If you have to move to the side or duck normally, you can't run the high dump under it. Also the raised box effects the mowers stability on slopes. And they are fairly easy to "tear up" if you have anyone running it that really dosn't care about the machine (employees).
Old 01-18-2008, 09:26 AM
LawnSite Member

Hi-Dump

Quote:
I also heard that these are from another company

The Hi-Dump is designed and manufactured by Walker.
Old 01-18-2008, 01:09 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks Jason. Yes I've heard about some of the adverse effects when using the high dump, even heard of a few people turning them over. Trust me I know first hand the trouble with employees. The added height will not affect me. The main reason I need [want] one is for the restraunts and apartments that I use their dumpsters. I noticed that you run Walkers too. Do you have the speed-up kits? I do not need one for mowing, but thought it would be nice for transport.
Old 01-18-2008, 01:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Speed up kits are great, but they are another thing your employee's have to get used to. You can't always cut clean at full speed. Also, I have one of the origingal All-Seasons lifts. It took some modifying to make it work but it is nice to have. As stated earlier they make the mower very unstable. On a slight angle, I was dumping into my truck and I had the mower wanting to tip over on me. They aren't kidding when they say you must dump on a flat surface.
Old 01-18-2008, 01:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turf Dawg View Post
Thanks Jason. I noticed that you run Walkers too. Do you have the speed-up kits? I do not need one for mowing, but thought it would be nice for transport.
Yes, I put a speed-up kit on the MT this winter. It's a pretty old model (1995, I bought it used, but in decent condition last summer) I'm not sure if the older ones were just slower from the start, or what. I don't recall how "fast" the 2001 model I had was (I bought it new). This '95 MT was actually slower then my '97 MS 36". The slightly smaller pulley did make a difference. I don't notice that it's harder to use at all, actually when I mowed my lawn with it the other day I felt like it was actually a little easier to operate, the levers took less input, making a "zero turn" even easier. Plus I was able to get from A to B a little quicker.

I had to replace the spring that puts the tension on the idler arm for the small drive belt. But, like I said, my model is different than the newer ones, so you might not have a problem there. I think the actual "kit" comes with a puilley and a size smaller belt. My dealer dosn't bother with the belt and actually just gets the pulleys from a supply house down the street from him. They threw it in free when I bought the mower, so I'm not complaining.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:52 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I have a 2000 model and added the speed up kit. It does make a difference and worth the $20 or so dollars. I had the high lift kit installed last spring. I wouldn't even attempt putting this on yourself. The kit is very useful and as I figured it, over time it will save money in doctor expenses from back injury lifting heavy tarps. It does raise the height a little, but doesn't make a big difference. The biggest downfall with the kit by far is the added weight....something like $200 pounds. The machine will not hold a hill well at all. I'm in Kansas, so not many hill, but you do have to contend with burms.

Good luck
Matt

www.progressivelawn.com
www.wichitalawnmowing.com
www.partybuswichitaks.com

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
- Aristotle

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."
- Leonardo da Vinci
Old 01-28-2008, 08:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

high dump

i have a 2006 20mt high dump, big blower, 9.5 hopper, high speed pulley, deluxe seat, narrow tires, 42"ghs deck, 48" side discharge deck, they all work great. i love the high dump had it installed after i got mower found trying to dump by hand was a pain and it took 2 men to dump into bag and 2 men to dump bag. i have a f-450 dump i use a 2x4 ramp to clear bed height.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:25 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Thank all of you for your input. I do beleive that I will be installing a high lift as soon as I get the bucks. Also mine doesn't hold slopes at all without the high lift.
Old 01-28-2008, 05:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a hi lift also and the one complaint i would have is the added weight not only on hills but i kind of have to be carefull especialy in the spring early mornings with wet grass the hopper gets really heavy when its full and tends to want to rut but i dump mine pretty often and usualy can prvent alot of it