Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-23-2008, 12:47 PM
LawnSite Member

lesco spacesaver in a van??

Will a spacesaver fit inside a cargo van? I'm looking to add a sprayer this year (already have a PG) Lately I'm thinking of a van would be nice to keep it out of the weather.

Thanks
Old 01-23-2008, 01:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Dont really see why not? Would need to figure something out for the exhaust though thats deff for sure. Other then that the only other thing i would worry about is weight? 1600 # for a van is a good bit.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm sure it will

I'm in the process of selling the F250 I used up until now for my application business >> http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=56542 because I too am going to be using a van for applications this year. While I have a Gregson-Clark V200 skid sprayer (that I can't say enough good things about by the way ), I don't see why a Space Saver wouldn't fit too. Rhett at G-C warned me that certain full-sized vans have a relief for their fuel filler pipes that intrudes enough into their cargo compartments that modifications will sometimes have to be made to certain skids to get them to fit. After carefully measuring newer E350 vans, I know that my skid will easily fit. While I'm no expert on Space Savers, I can't see why one of those wouldn't also fit nicely in a full-sized Ford van. I have no idea if you'd have clearance issues in Dodge, or Chevy full-sized vans though.
Because of the advantages a van has over a pickup for doing apps, I think you're making the right choice by using one.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Consider heat and exhaust fumes from the motor. Plus the pesticide fumes and odor. If you want to keep everything dry you might consider a pickup cap.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:56 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm not worries about the weight in a 3/4 or 1 ton van. I was more worried about the motor and hose reel in the way when closing the side doors. A truck with a cap would be nice also, I could plow with it. But I can buy a used cargo van cheaper than a pick up. Does anybody have pics of a truck with cap on it, with a spacesaver?

Thanks again
Old 01-23-2008, 03:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Exhaust fumes won't be a problem as long as you have a properly designed bulkhead that seals the cab area off from the cargo area. On my skid, the exhaust will blow right out the side door anyway.

As far as payload goes. An E350 weighs in at 4773 lbs. It has a GVW rating of 9500 lbs. That's a 4727 payload! I think that would do the trick.

Besides, you'll have more room in the back of a van (9 feet between the seat backs and the back doors on a standard-length van and 11 feet between the seat-backs and the back doors on an extended like I'm going to get. This doesn't even mention the extra height you have inside a van, compared to inside of a cap on the bed of a pick up.