Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-18-2008, 03:45 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

KX 161 Excavator

Well I am out tire kicking again.LOL
With the slow down in the construction Industry here there is alot of used iron available.
I found a KX 161 with angle blade ,cab,ac and heat,hyd thumb,quick attach,36,24, 18 buckets with around 800 hours in almost perfect condition.
It is one off of a year lease from a power company.

This unit new here will run 60k plus.
They priced it out at 49k drive out.

Roughly 15k savings.Is this a great deal or okay deal?
Opinions?
Old 01-18-2008, 04:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'm not going to comment too much on "Crap-o-bota", but at least 3 people/companies that I know of have gotten rid of their 1 & 2 year old machines in favour of another Japanese machine known as "Takeuchi".

Reason why; "Crap-o-bota" kept falling apart in some areas, not going into specifics, but they are in the areas where Takeuchi is better built.

http://www.youtube.com/user/69rd96

Last edited by bobcat_ron; 01-18-2008 at 04:21 PM. Reason: Kubota's are yucky.
Old 01-18-2008, 05:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The 60K is about what I paid for my TK new with a coupler and thumb, cab, AC but no angle blade. I would think that you should see more depreciation for 800 hours even if it is in near new condition. If you could get it into the low 40's that would likely be a good deal.

I have never run a Kubota, people on here speak highly of them.

The TK is a good excavator as well. The 153 will do a lot of work.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 01-18-2008, 05:49 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

There are no 153 used machines I can find.
I found a TB145 thats nice as well.

That price was with tax and the coupler and buckets are new as well as the thumb.
I have a bench mark of usually saving a third on a near new machine(good shape,low hours) over new and once they pass 1000 hours it needs to be near half of new value.
Thats what I consider a good deal.

Low 40's would make it more interesting.

I would like to here Cat_Ron's reasons behind the Crap o Bota comments.
Old 01-18-2008, 07:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Much less weight, less weight means weaker parts of the boomand or the rest of the machine, one machine I heard of cracked at the base of the boom right at the swing boom mechanism, almost completely sheared off after a second "minor" impact a year later, Crap-o-bota Warranty wouldn't cover the cost of repairs due to their claim that the crack(s) were from excessive "abuse".

I find they are much like Bobcat excavators, a lot of bark (higher numbers on the spec sheets vs. the competition) but very little bite (power where and when it's needed)

Other complaints are very little drive power when using functions at the same time and odd vibrations when pulling with the boom, and their cabs are just crap, they fall apart quickly and sometimes feel like they should be better sealed.

http://www.youtube.com/user/69rd96

Last edited by bobcat_ron; 01-18-2008 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Crap-o-bota
Old 01-18-2008, 07:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

There are around 40 KX161's in and around the area that i am in and to my knowledge i have not heard of any of these complaints, we repair and do warranty for kubota amongst others and i would not get wealthy fixing kubota excavators. To date i have not needed to repair one apart from servicing and wear parts. Some have 4000hrs.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

When I worked for a rental company a while ago all we had was Kubota. We NEVER had cracks in our booms, and never had cab problems. We still had the old 121-2's (and the new 121-3's) and didn't have any problems. I find it interesting on bobcat_ron's comments. The only time we had anything break on a kubota was due to serious excessive force on the machine and an idiot behind the controls. We never had mechanical problems either. Like Ausman said, a person can't get wealthy fixing Kubota trackhoes. I personally like the "lighter" feel of the kubota's because to me, excessive weight in the a** end is quite annoying. That's one thing I noticed about bobcat is they were so sluggish because they seemed underpowered to deal with all the steal they are made out of. But Kubota's machines are not that much lighter than the class they are in, all machines vary somewhat, otherwise they couldn't compare a 9300lbs 121 with other similar sizes or a 11000lbs 161 with other excavators.

I also don't believe that any new excavator, no matter the brand would crack so severely that the hoe would almost fall off unless someone is beating concrete up rather than using a breaker. I ditto Kubota's comments that it sounds like excessive force. The only thing I will agree on is Kubota needs to work on allowing the thumb or blade to be used while using another part of the machine. It is more sluggish than it should be.

Blake
WA
Old 01-19-2008, 07:17 PM
LawnSite Member

One of the contractors in the area is on his 3rd Kubota 161 and they well worked non of them have had the problems Ron meantioned. The current Kubota the contractor has now is time for replacement. The machine has high hours now.
Old 01-19-2008, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Funny...even my CAT salesman gave Kubota the highest marks...even against his own CAT product...
Old 01-19-2008, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Member

A question for Ron who carries Takeuchi equipment in B.C. now ?

Before it always was one company in Alberta. With Kubota, Avenue Farm equipment sell the most around here.

Before Conneco bought out Terra Tech (Komatsu) the Terra Tech reps were in the area trying to push Komatsu excavators.