Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-22-2008, 11:10 AM
LawnSite Member

price check

I used to call the big-name services out to my own yard to give estimates to see how competitive I was being....
Old 01-22-2008, 12:16 PM
LawnSite Member

I'll do that, and have my mom, dad, in-laws, etc. do the same to get an idea on several lawns.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:21 PM
LawnSite Member

yeah

thats a good idea, just keeps you competitive
Old 01-22-2008, 04:20 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by summitlawncare View Post
I used to call the big-name services out to my own yard to give estimates to see how competitive I was being....
This statement annoys the hell out of me. I know for a fact I've been called out to peoples houses for this reason. I pulled to one house one time and there was a landscaping trailer in the garage, no joke honest to god. Needless to say, I just left. Don't waste other peoples time and gas. If you call most of the bigger outfits and give them your square footage they should be able to give you an idea.
Old 01-22-2008, 04:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Ok

OK, thats fine, and I have tried to do that, but they tell me that they would rather come out and look at it first. I would be willing to bet money you have done things to annoy other people yourself. So I wouldnt be to quick to judge buddy!!! To each their own.....
Old 01-23-2008, 10:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Everyone has done things to annoy other people that's a given. But I for one don't feel comfortable going out of my way to do it. I've never called anyone to my house for an estimate and I know what everyone else charging. In the course of conversations with customers I hear about it, they show me other peoples estimates. In the long run it doesn't really matter, I keep accurate numbers on my business and know what I need to sell at to make money. In this business there is no guarantee that the other guy you're trying to undercut is making any money regardless of the kind of truck they drive. If they are selling loser jobs I don't want to chase them down the same road.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:41 AM
LawnSite Member

point taken

I understand what you are saying. Here is where I am coming from. I am a small operation. Although I am licensed, etc. etc. I run a very small company. It is just me and a good buddy of mine who run this out of our homes. We have one 300 gallon tank from lesco, and we have a couple of backpack sprayers. I have about 30 customers total. (27 residential and 3 commercial). The truck we use is older, but paid for, we have little overhead b/c we operate it out of our homes. All we have to pay for is gas, product, insurance, and very little advertising, and because we dont buy huge amounts of product, our costs are obviously higher on fert and chemicals. What I am getting is he thought you guys have is that I am trying to take business from the "big guys" by undercutting. This is not the case. I got estimates from the big guys when I first got into this side of the business b/c I had no idea how to charge customers for these services. It was the only time I did it. All I have ever done is mowing and landscaping. With no one willing to give me a outline to follow or pricing strategy, this was the best way for me to know how to charge and be competitive for the customers I was going after. I have a full time corporate job. This business is done on the side, on a part or (3/4 time in the spring and fall) basis. I hope to one day make it a full time venture, but I am not to the point where I can do that yet. I would never go out and purposley take business from someone else. B/c I have always thought, what goes around comes around. I go and try and prospect new business. All the yards I spray now are the carry-over customers from the mowing side of it. I think I have taken two or three customers from the big guys in the last couple of years. Just b/c the people liked what I did for them on the mowing side and I was a little cheaper than the big national chain they had doing it. I hope this clears things up a bit.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:44 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

3.40 cents per thou and a 25.00 dollar stop charge.