Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-18-2008, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Is this for real? Its gotta be a joke!

I saw this on E-bay. I cant imagine the stuff someone was smoking to come up with this (hopefully I copied the link correctly)

http://cgi.ebay.com/THE-STICKLER-VEH...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 01-19-2008, 12:24 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Either it works or it is fraud on a pretty massive scale. It looks like they sell about 4-6 per month, and no negative feedback. read the posts on ebay, and people seem to be gushing, and even surprised it works. I am trying to figure it out in my head. jack up both sides of drive wheels. remove wheel. mount big screw. wheel chock front wheels. start vehicle and put in drive. push firewood against big screw. big screw threads in and splits wood. if wood does not split, remove hands from spinning firewood chunk of death...I really need to see a video of this thing working.
Old 01-19-2008, 12:29 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I saw that years ago, but didn't know they still made them. On another note I was at tractor supply store and saw a wood splitter that had a regular hydraulic jack that you pump by hand, thats got to be a real production machine if you don't wear out first from all the pumping.
Old 01-19-2008, 01:15 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ive seen these on the internet too....and umm, ah, gotta think this is really dangerous......imagine getting a piece of loose clothing caught on this, the wood spinning and banging against your vehicle, loosing your balance and falling against the corkscrew....the whole set up just seems diabolical. Im getting a vision of trying to split a forked log......or picture trying to break apart some nasty, stringy piece of elm......I'm very skeptical.
Old 01-19-2008, 07:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

there is a saying in the car business. there is an ass for seat, and a seat for every ass.
Old 01-19-2008, 11:29 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

You have to watch it with Ebay, there's always been quite a bit of snake oil for sale.
I suppose it's done for 'educational' purposes, not sure.

Last edited by topsites; 01-19-2008 at 11:37 AM.
Old 01-19-2008, 11:55 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

pretty wild set up for splitting wood....theres better ways
Old 01-21-2008, 10:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Gretzmier View Post
if wood does not split, remove hands from spinning firewood chunk of death...working.
Ha, that's funny. Personally that's alot of work to go through to split some wood. I'd rather just pull a cord and hit a lever.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:40 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Gretzmier View Post
Either it works or it is fraud on a pretty massive scale. It looks like they sell about 4-6 per month, and no negative feedback. read the posts on ebay, and people seem to be gushing, and even surprised it works. I am trying to figure it out in my head. jack up both sides of drive wheels. remove wheel. mount big screw. wheel chock front wheels. start vehicle and put in drive. push firewood against big screw. big screw threads in and splits wood. if wood does not split, remove hands from spinning firewood chunk of death...I really need to see a video of this thing working.
LMAO
When I saw this thing, I thought the same thing. I just split a bunch of hard maple that was 40-50 inches in diameter (using a verticle splitter). I am imagining bolting up one of these screws onto the 2500HD, then maybe 'power sliding' into one of those chunks, and see what happens. I can only imagine the devastation.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Member

I did a search on google and their sight has a video -apparently it works well. The safety shut off is going to be a little tough to reach though, and remember to take your truck out of 4wd! Hope they have good product liability insurance.