Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-19-2008, 08:57 AM
LawnSite Member

Weed suppression around ponds

What chemicals do you use for weed suppression around ponds. I will mainly be spraying the rock wrap.
Old 01-19-2008, 09:54 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Probably the Roundup aquatic formulation is a good bet, I think it is called Rodeo. Take look at the label. Maybe Ric will comment as he is familiar with this idea. Here is the link:
http://www.dowagro.com/ivm/highway/prod/rodeo.htm
Old 01-19-2008, 11:37 AM
LawnSite Member

Rodeo was my thought as well, but I have never used it, so I did not know how well it worked.
Old 01-19-2008, 02:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

JJ

Glyphosate Aquatic is manufactured by both Monsanto and NuFarms. It is sold under a Variety of Names. But it is 53% Glyphosate with no surfactants added. Therefore you must add Methylated Seed oil Aquatic Labelled to it. The Methylated Seed Oil costs more than the Glyphosate.

Aquatic weed management is more than just spraying Glyphosate. Algae and other submerged weeds can not be controlled by Glyphosate. Cattails are especially hard to control and are best dug out. Contact Helena Chemical and ask to speak with there aquatic salesman for a better understanding of other chemicals available for ponds.

Don't forget Grass Eating Carp as a culture control for submerged weeds and algae.

Yes RU will work but it also cause some funny looking frogs and fish. The Ag inspector might not like you using RU and give you a nice big fine.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 01-19-2008, 04:57 PM
LawnSite Member

i agree with ric but you can also put some 2-4d in under certain usage just check the label
Old 01-19-2008, 05:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Ric thanks for the great info.

The customer just wants the rock wrap around the pond sprayed for the weeds groing up in them. They have a vine that grows up in the rock half way around the pond.
Old 01-19-2008, 06:15 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Carp? Man, I hate that idea for use as a control! I've seen carp overwhelm native game fish populations. Introduce carp, you better introduce some carp predators too, or ruin the fishery! LMB's can't bed if there are too many carp around. Aside from that, the carp won't feed on the most invasive pest water weeds, only the desirable ones. Even crappie and perch populations can be devastated by carp. I'd rather put a swim suit and a snorkel on, and do some mechanical controls before carp!
Old 01-19-2008, 07:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverscapes View Post
i agree with ric but you can also put some 2-4d in under certain usage just check the label
Weedar 64 is a 2-4,d that is labelled for aquatics and can also be used on Lawns for selective weed control.

Don't spend the Money on Rodeo when the same product is a Off Brand Made in the same Plant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey4 View Post
Carp? Man, I hate that idea for use as a control! I've seen carp overwhelm native game fish populations. Introduce carp, you better introduce some carp predators too, or ruin the fishery! LMB's can't bed if there are too many carp around. Aside from that, the carp won't feed on the most invasive pest water weeds, only the desirable ones. Even crappie and perch populations can be devastated by carp. I'd rather put a swim suit and a snorkel on, and do some mechanical controls before carp!
Whitey

Here is a quick Google about Triploid carp. I didn't read it so I might not of given you a good link. Triploid Carp can not reproduce. The eggs of the diloid carp are put under pressure and cause the new hatchlings to be sterile triploid carp. With the Drought all our ponds are very low and the birds are having a Carp Feast.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

Old 01-19-2008, 09:26 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Weedar 64 is a 2-4,d that is labelled for aquatics and can also be used on Lawns for selective weed control.

Don't spend the Money on Rodeo when the same product is a Off Brand Made in the same Plant.

Whitey

Here is a quick Google about Triploid carp. I didn't read it so I might not of given you a good link. Triploid Carp can not reproduce. The eggs of the diloid carp are put under pressure and cause the new hatchlings to be sterile triploid carp. With the Drought all our ponds are very low and the birds are having a Carp Feast.
OK, cool! Never heard of them, and I suspected something was weird when you made the suggestion. This makes a whole lot more sense. As a game fisherman, which has so far until now been my only exposure to carp, they are aquatic pests that are almost impossible to control without a total kill. The DEC here has actually used drag nets, and returns the game and food fish, while culling carp. They can't get all of them, and in a few years, the problem comes back. The Europeans like them as a food fish, but I've heard they are kinda nasty on the palette.

Me, I don't go near water at all. Or schools. (people schools, not fish schools!) Just isn't worth the complications. My territory is tight, and landlocked. I am in the center of LI... no ponds, lakes, shorelines.
Old 01-20-2008, 03:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Whitey

And here I thought you were wet behind the ears.