Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-17-2008, 02:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

depends on how heavy a work load you have.a f150 with a tow package is good for starting out.then you might want something heavier and use that as a spare or personal ride.i prefer a 4x4.i prefer fords because they have a better resale value and if you look there are more of them on the road.
Old 06-17-2008, 03:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If your going to use a 1/2 ton use a 4x4 the suspension is a little stouter, but if you have the cash go with the 3/4 ton
Old 06-18-2008, 12:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by punt66 View Post
Hemi is not good for towing? Not heavy duty? Thats interesting because my hemi pulls better than my 250 with the 360. It also out pulled many diesels i have had. My 07 1500 with hemi and tow is rated for 7100lbs towing. Tow package comes with heavy duty oil coolers. I do hear the nissan titan tows well but when it comes to big purchases go AMERICAN.

I have owned a hemi. My dad has a hemi. I have 3 guys I work with that have a hemi. It is a powerful motor but it has too high of a power band. It doesn't make good torque till up around 4k rpm. I think if you have low enough gears (4.56?) you may be able to tow more like a diesel but IMHO it is not even close. Not saying that you are wrong but its just the way I feel through experience. My dad owns both a hemi and a Titan. The hemi feels like a hot rod (it is modified) compared to the Titan but the Titan feels like it has balls off idle to redline. Now put a 6.1 hemi in a 3/4 ton and I am very interested!
Old 06-19-2008, 01:23 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbenallo33 View Post
if you are using it for any kind of towing get a 3/4 ton the 1/2 tons are worthless for any kind of towing
This may be hard for you all to believe...Going on its 3rd year full time is my 92 Chevy 1500 w/t. 191,000 miles. Its a 4.3 v6 half ton. I pull a 6x16 trailer with 2 60" Z-masters and a 48" hydro on a daily basis. I'll load up 2 pallets of mulch on the trailer and it has no problem.

I drive it pretty easy but it'll move when I need it to. Been the most reliable and fuel efficient truck i've had. No brake, suspension, engine, or electrical issues at all.
I'll take it over my old Ram 2500 V10 any day.
Attached Images

Old 06-19-2008, 06:03 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooln6 View Post
I have owned a hemi. My dad has a hemi. I have 3 guys I work with that have a hemi. It is a powerful motor but it has too high of a power band. It doesn't make good torque till up around 4k rpm. I think if you have low enough gears (4.56?) you may be able to tow more like a diesel but IMHO it is not even close. Not saying that you are wrong but its just the way I feel through experience. My dad owns both a hemi and a Titan. The hemi feels like a hot rod (it is modified) compared to the Titan but the Titan feels like it has balls off idle to redline. Now put a 6.1 hemi in a 3/4 ton and I am very interested!

Diesels can pull alot more weight with their heavy tourqe. However the weights involved with a landscape trailer is chump change. A loaded landscape trailer including trailer weight usually wont exceed 3500lbs. Thats light. So a gas engine like the 340hp hemi will out tow the diesel with those light weights. The diesel doesnt start to shine until you get into the heavy weights and can use all that tourqe. I also drag race and have car trailers that i tow. I have a 24' and a 28' enclosed. I use my dodge 250 to haul them because the body is more stout, however the hemi truck has more power and yet my 250 in its day out pulled my friends diesel to and from the track several times. One friend who i passed on the highway on a long hill after a day of racing traded in that new diesel he was towing with when the dealer said there was nothing wrong with it.

If your main business is mowing then a 1/2 ton is just fine. Even with a 6 cylinder. With my hemi i cant even feel the trailer. And i get 13mpg towing. So buy the 3/4 ton just to tow mowers and the very occasional hauling and pay 7mpg.

SOLO OPERATION
Old 07-26-2008, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Lose the stars and bars you hillbilly !!!
Old 07-26-2008, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Cummins 5.9L 24 valve Turbo Diesel's 2nd & 3rd generation engines, produce all their torque under 2,000RPM's***** 1,600RPM's to be exact thats 496 to 610ft/lbs of torque that a Hemi cannot produce ever. Personally I was hooked on diesel from day one, and theirs just no struggle towing or hauling with a Cummins, and that can be scary; because i have hooked up to some loads that sacred the crap out of me once I got the scale weight of the gooseneck & the load I was hauling.
Old 08-16-2008, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

3/4 ton of course! Actually 1 ton!

Always a lesson, never a failure.

www.meangreenlawncare.com
Old 08-16-2008, 11:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosparkplugs View Post
Cummins 5.9L 24 valve Turbo Diesel's 2nd & 3rd generation engines, produce all their torque under 2,000RPM's***** 1,600RPM's to be exact thats 496 to 610ft/lbs of torque that a Hemi cannot produce ever. Personally I was hooked on diesel from day one, and theirs just no struggle towing or hauling with a Cummins, and that can be scary; because i have hooked up to some loads that sacred the crap out of me once I got the scale weight of the gooseneck & the load I was hauling.
the only time my cummins struggled was when i had a 2-3k # load on it. anything over that was like nothin. weirdest thing...

Always a lesson, never a failure.

www.meangreenlawncare.com
Old 08-16-2008, 11:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Always go bigger. i regret ever getting a 1/2ton!!!!

Landscape Contractors
Louisiana Licensed: Landscape/Horticulturist, Commercial Ground Applicator, Arborist, Irrigation Contractor, Utility Arborist

Onsite Sandbagging, Palletized Sandbags & Bulk Totes, Emergency Response, Erosion & StormWater Barriers