Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-20-2008, 09:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Guano, worm castings, and Manure

I watched Modern Marvel history of fert this past week.

After doing some research, it seems that ANY soil would benefit from the addition of Guano, and manure of some sort. I also like the idea of worm castings/poop. ( http://www.wormpower.net/worm-castings/index.php ).

Is this something that a LAWN would benefit from or do you think my perennial/woody plants would be the best beneficiaries of this sort of thing?

Would a thin (1/2") top coat of one of he above mentioned products be enough, say 1-2 times (spring and fall) a year?

Thanks!
Old 01-20-2008, 11:02 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

What is that smell, peeeewwwww
Old 01-20-2008, 11:35 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Worm castings don't have a foul odor, and would definitely help your lawn and shrubs.

http://wormgold.com/
Old 01-20-2008, 12:09 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Good worm castings have the same consistency and earthy aroma of good potting soil but with huge benefits of active biology.
Google, the ohio state university vermicompost
for some of the studies they've done with vermicompost & vermicompost tea.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 01-20-2008, 12:33 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

For ease of handeling as well as cutting down on the smell and possible pathogens, compost the manures first. You can mix other organic materials in the compost pile at the same time to increase volume as well as influence nutrient values.
Old 01-20-2008, 12:48 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

phasthound has a lot of experience on vermicompost he has been using it for years and has had excellent results, he even has people sending him thank you letters for the great job that it does for soil and plants. Barry how many times have you heard how good the tomatoes are from that stuff, 100's?

Muddstopper brings up a great point about composting the guano first. I believe this practice is used for almost all macro and micro nutrients and has great success. I keep thinking about the examples of composting calcium in the pile and the great results of being able to balance soils. It is a more effective way of doing it than putting it down on top of the soil.
Old 01-20-2008, 02:38 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

[QUOTE=ICT Bill;2107354]phasthound has a lot of experience on vermicompost he has been using it for years and has had excellent results, he even has people sending him thank you letters for the great job that it does for soil and plants. Barry how many times have you heard how good the tomatoes are from that stuff, 100's?

Ha! One of my clients uses over 20 tons a year on his clients' trees & shrubs, but the thing he likes best is his personal tomato crop. He can't help but say that 'cause he's Italian.

Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 01-30-2008, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I got a quote from http://www.wormpower.net/ they said 1 yard will cover 12,000-16,000 sq. ft. It is $375 per yard plus $250 for shipping. Is this a good price for the product? My lawn is only 6K sq/ft, and I have another 1500-2000sq/ft of trees, shrubs, and perennials. So 1 yard would be perfect.

Is there cheaper, but still as good of a product out there?

How often should I add this to the soil? 1 a year, every other year, every 5????

Is it best to add before or after aerating in the spring?

Thanks guys!!!
Old 01-30-2008, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Worm castings and quality

If the worm castings are good (do they supply test results?). Then this is a great deal. typically a yard weights about 1200 pounds and you can get 2000 pounds of Worm Gold for $550 to $600 but then you have to add the shipping and that could be another 3 or 4 hundred bucks. They have great castings. so if the quality is there it is a good deal. But spreading it like compost may not be the best use of the product. you may consider mixing with compost from a local supplier @ $15 to $25 a yard or better yet getting a compost tea brewer from KIS for $150 and using this to make hundreds of gallons of teas which could be applied every day for a year (just kidding) but every few weeks or months and you would probably get more bang for the buck! But my point is you could make a bunch of tea with 1200 pounds of castings.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBull View Post
I got a quote from http://www.wormpower.net/ they said 1 yard will cover 12,000-16,000 sq. ft. It is $375 per yard plus $250 for shipping. Is this a good price for the product? My lawn is only 6K sq/ft, and I have another 1500-2000sq/ft of trees, shrubs, and perennials. So 1 yard would be perfect.

Is there cheaper, but still as good of a product out there?

How often should I add this to the soil? 1 a year, every other year, every 5????

Is it best to add before or after aerating in the spring?

Thanks guys!!!
Go to the sponsor page, click on my banner and feel free to contact me privately.

Franklin D. Roosevelt