Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-26-2001, 05:26 PM
casey

Quick questions on Synthetics

Picked up a new unit today & dealer said I could use Mobil 1 from the get go. I allways thought the engine needed a 50 hr break-in period before switching to synthetic.
Also is there any point in using synthetic grease in zerks?
Thanks.
Old 10-26-2001, 05:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i always wait at least 50 hrs. to convert.

i don't waste the money on synthetic for greasing, as i grease most stuff every 8-10 hours anyway

Dave
Old 10-26-2001, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Make sure to use an EP rated grease. The rating is by the NLGI and should be listed on the grease cartridge. I usually wait about 100 hours before switching over to a syn. oil.
Old 10-27-2001, 09:40 PM
casey

If synthetic is a superior oil what is the reason for waiting? Why not just start with synthetic? Seems it would be a better "break in" oil as well.
Old 10-27-2001, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Synthetic oil info:

Hi Casey - I copied & pasted this from the Heavy Duty Cycles web site, although it's written with Harleys in mind the principles apply to any internal combustion engine:

Oil Facts for Your Harley®

True or False ?

Synthetic oils, (man made), are better than fossil oils, (which come out of the ground).

True: Synthetics are very much superior. They are required in extreme temperatures. In hot weather to slow the oxydation process which destroys oil effectiveness. In cold weather, the synthetic flows sooner than a fossil oil like Harley® 360. Synthetics lubricate faster especially when starting your bike.

"SJ" oils are for water cooled engines only and are no good for air cooled bikes like Harley®.

False: Oil breaks down from heat through a process called oxydation. If your Harley® overheats any oil will begin to break down. Fossil oils like Harley® 360 break down much faster than synthetics. If you are worried about this or ride in an extreme climate switch to a full synthetic SJ oil.

Synthetics should be used during break in.

False: They are too slippery to allow parts to rub together and "break in" with each other. Less slippery fossil oils allow parts to break through the oil film for metal to metal contact to wear in together. Fossil oils should be used until the engine is broken in. After break-in you may switch to synthetic which will slow down further wear since the last thing we want now is metal to metal contact..

Hope this clears things up a bit!

'75 GMC "Blood, Sweat & Gear$"
Old 10-27-2001, 11:22 PM
Banned

Synthetic Oil

Use synthetic from the get go! "Break-in" will happen with a synthetic too. What does it matter if your engine takes 200 hours to break-in rather than 50 hours? If you don't use synthetic oil you are robbing power and life from your engine. And think about the fact that your engine will run 3,000 hours or so rather than 1,200 hours.
Old 10-27-2001, 11:54 PM
casey

Thanks for the info.
As a proud Canadian I wish you would make an effort to resize your flags & put he Canadian flag first.
Flick, I believe your info is correct.
Old 10-28-2001, 09:36 PM
casey

Re: Synthetic Oil

Quote:
Originally posted by Flick
What does it matter if your engine takes 200 hours to break-in rather than 50 hours?.
Does it matter?
Old 10-28-2001, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Casey, The fact is that the sooner your engine gets the rings worn into the cylinders the sooner you have maximum compression. This is also a benefit in oil consumption. Some engines will never totally breakin if you use Synthetic oil from the start. True you engine won't have any wear in it, but it will use oil as if the engine rings are worn out. So give it a chance to break in before you switch.
Old 10-28-2001, 10:45 PM
Banned

Ring Seat

Heard this one before, "...your rings have to seat otherwise your engine will use oil...". I have NEVER had an engine in my life that used oil during the break-in period. I am not saying that others have not had that experience but most good engines just don't need a break-in period. Now, if you're talking about Chrysler products then you may have a point. However, Chrysler doesn't make L&G engines (thank God) so we don't have to worry about this point. ANY engine will break-in just as well (if not better) with a synthetic as with a dino oil. Let's not forget the ILSAC GF-2, API certification standard.