Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-22-2008, 09:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

A couple of thoughts:
Copyright your original work.
Recommend the bad company to your pain in the A** customers.
Imagation is the best compliment
mount airy, md 21771-0630
Old 01-22-2008, 12:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnservice View Post
let me get this straight.....you KNOW you have misspellings on your estimate forms, yet you use them anyway?
huh, interesting
I corrected the 3 misspellings, but the competitor did not.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

gotta love copycats
Old 01-22-2008, 01:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanlawn View Post
I corrected the 3 misspellings, but the competitor did not.
then it sounds like an inside job. Disgruntled employee??

we had a competitor who would call our customers (not just our customers but I'm sure they called every lawn with a lawn app sign on it). They would say they bought us out and they would begin to service the property as soon as the customer confirmed some info. Then they would proceed to ask questions like 'how many sq ft is the lawn? and how much have you been paying?'
Thankfully, people aren't complete idiots. We got many calls from our customers asking if we sold then they said they knew something was fishy. If we had sold surely the company that bought us would have that basic info like app price and lawn size.

I'm 99.9% sure I know who was doing this. I actually went out to find him...but he moves alot?!?! But I did get the word out via vendors and several landscapers that I was looking for this individual. All problems have stopped.
Old 01-22-2008, 01:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You have loyal customers. That speaks highly of you. Most lawn guys here know each other, so word of mouth flies pretty fast. We just keep plugging away.....life's too short anyway.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Last year I actually caught a TGCL guy taking my invoice off the door and take it in his truck took it out of the bag and looking it over. Then the next app customer told me they had called giving price 5 dollars cheaper saying the price they are paying now is on some data base thats how they know it would be cheaper. Later I called all customers in that particular subdivision an everyone of them had received the same call. Those guys have no ethics at all. Its good to know though that all my customers stayed and even a couple noticed them doing this as well and reported it to better buisness bureau. Loyal customers go along way and I even got more buisness from neighbors because of this.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Member

A couple of years ago a friend of mine that works at the local office supply store in town help me design and print my door hanger. A couple of weeks after we passed them out my friend called and said he had something for me to see. A guy had brought a word for word hand written copy to the store and needed it typed and 50000 printed. My friend did just as the guy told him except he reversed the last 2 digits of the phone number. The guy was so dumb he did not even catch it when he signed the prof. The store required him to pay up front for a quantity that big. Then me friend told him of a company that would pass them out for him. So he paid twice for nothing.

I wonder if he is still waiting for the phone to ring
Old 01-22-2008, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnservice View Post
let me get this straight.....you KNOW you have misspellings on your estimate forms, yet you use them anyway?
huh, interesting
here's an interesting fact... road map companies deliberately make mistakes on their maps and copyright them to stop others from copying their work. It's annoying when you find one of these the hard way.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
It's annoying when you find one of these the hard way.
Dang it I hate when that happens!!! The couple times I've had it happen to me it was always way out on some rural road where you couldn't just swing around the block to fix it.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:39 PM
LawnSite Member

A-Lawns,you are right.It is very irritating having competitors copying you.I have one guy in my area that actually calls me and wants advice and to use equipment and hes my competitor!I used to help these guys that dont have any blood sweat and tears in this business,they just know what they have read on here and what they see pros do then they get some money and presto,they are buying equipment and stealing your accounts by underbidding you.I thinj my days of helping garage shop lawn cares are over!