Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-21-2008, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Skidsteer Vs Muti Terrain Loader (tracks)

Evening. Im new to the site and I have a small landscaping business (Mostly Hardscaping). I curently have a Cat 301.8 and a New Holland L250 skidsteer. Im looking to purchase another skidsteer (larger), but I would like to know the pros and cons of tracked Vs wheeled. Anybody here have one of each that can give me a comparison. I know the tracks and idler wheels are expensive, but how do they perform on grass, asphalt, etc.... I dont want to buy the wrong machine. Any imput would be much appreciated. Thanks much
Old 01-21-2008, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Did you try a search first....we have beat each other over the head on this topic forever....welcome to the site
Old 01-21-2008, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Cat's rollers are cheaper to replace that idlers for the steel track undercarriages and they hardly make a dent into the turf.

But the Loegering VTS seems to be the weapon of choice nowadays.

http://www.youtube.com/user/69rd96
Old 01-21-2008, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

welcome..do a search, there are more threads on this topic then you could imagine...but i will say, as we own wheeled machines and track machines...they all have their special areas...to sum it up without starting yet another shouting match..haha..asphalt and hard ground = wheeled machine....mud and soft ground (if you can afford the extra expense) = tracked unit
Old 01-21-2008, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would look back and see what kind of conditions you work in primarly and how much are trying lift? If possible I would try and stay with tires. They are cheaper to buy, cheaper to run and resale better than a tracked machine regardless of make. If you find yourself working in soft conditions often then perhaps there may be a need for a CTL. Everyone will have different costs depending on how the machine is used and what type of machine you get. The first step in my opinion is to decide if you need a CTL if you decide that you do. Then research the machines available and go from there also come to a decision on how much ROC you need. I don't know anything about an L250 so I am not sure how big the new machine needs to be. Good luck

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

This subject has been beat to death on here. Here is the basics though.

skid steer - cheaper to buy, cheaper to operate, better resale, not great in mud, tend to sink more in yards leaving ruts, have to plan your turns, better on asphalt

CTL - great pushing power, low ground pressure, excellent in mud, very little disturbance on lawn except when turning, you must plan your turns, very expensive to operate as far as the undercarriage, not good at all on asphalt
Old 01-22-2008, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the feed back everybody. Youve actually answered the question I had. Thanks again Kevin