Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-26-2001, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Leaf Cleanup

How much do you guys charge for leaf cleanup? I got a call the other day, went to the persons house and looked the area over.
This yard is fairly small, so I said $25. Her response: "no, twenty, I can't be spending hundreds of dollars on this kind of
stuff." She also mentioned that she pays the people who mow $20 (why they don't pick up the leaves I don't know, there are not
even that many, a mower would pick them up easily) and chemlawn $40. She wants the leaves picked in 3 days, because the mowingguys are coming. The grass wasn't even long, and as I said, a mower would pick that up easy. When we mow, we don't charge for leafs unless they are extremely excessive. Since the yard was small, I said $20 is fine. I think that leaf cleanup is a hell of a lot harder than mowing, and should cost more. What do you think? Once I hear what you guys charge, I think I will tell her (she is having us pick up leaves weekly) to find another lawn care service to quote you a price and see if they'll do it for $20.
Old 10-26-2001, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

How long do you think it's going to take? I charge $15-$20 an hour to do this kind of work on larger properties that are going to take me more than an hour. If it takes less than an hour, it's $20-$30. $30 an hour for one hour, $20 for half an hour, and if it's less than that I don't bother. The least amount of money I can make doing this kind of work is $30. Not too bad.

Go hard, go fast, or go home
Old 10-26-2001, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You said "I don't know why the guys who mow don't pick up the leaves."
I bet I do! It's because they won't touch them for the mere price of a cut - in this case, twenty dollars. THAT'S why she wanted you to DO it for twenty. I wouldn't touch that job for under fifty - I don't care HOW small it is. It isn't worth it. You have to fgure, people pay the NEIGHBOR kid to do it for that, and this gal wants you to pull your equipment, you have invested in, over there, (spending gas and time just GETTING there) and run it on you INSURED time for twenty bucks, THEN spend the time getting away from the job, (again spending gas) and PLEASE don't tell me you're hauling these off, too!

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.

Last edited by Runner; 10-26-2001 at 10:00 PM.
Old 10-26-2001, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

oryano--in my market, unless I cut the grass, a $20 leaf job will cost you $100 if I do it.

and that is if I will do it at all.

knowwhutImeanvern?

GEO
Old 10-26-2001, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

$250.00
Old 10-26-2001, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I just gotta laugh. Her mowing guy won't do it so she calls you. 1. If I do the job I'm your new mowing Guy. 2. I have never over estimated a leaf job. They always take longer than they look.
Old 10-26-2001, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I decided since the yard didn't have many leaves in it, and she just wants them put on the street I would do it for $20. It shouldn't even take an hour, and I need some more jobs. She found out about us by her neighbor (few blocks away) that we mow for when he is out of town. The same guy referred us to his other neighbor, who we mowed for while he was moving and hired us for other odd jobs. I havn't been in the business long, and don't have many jobs. I am hoping other people will see us doing work for her and will contact us. I tried flyers, but I think one of the most effective way of getting business is by references.
Old 10-26-2001, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I understand. Stick it out . Nobody got this cocky overnight. Its easy to be confident on computer, harder when you are hungry.
Old 10-26-2001, 10:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Scag48
How long do you think it's going to take? I charge $15-$20 an hour to do this kind of work on larger properties that are going to take me more than an hour. If it takes less than an hour, it's $20-$30. $30 an hour for one hour, $20 for half an hour, and if it's less than that I don't bother. The least amount of money I can make doing this kind of work is $30. Not too bad.
I'm sorry Scag, I read it like 4 times, and I still can't make any sense of your pricing stucture.........
......ok, just read it again. Now I'm dizzy!
Old 10-26-2001, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Grass cutting is slowing down so at 15 you probably have some extra time on your hands. You said that the leaves were not that bad and she wanted them picked up before the grass cutters came. blow everything into the lawn and mulch it up real good since the leaves are not that bad. Do a really good job and show her that you can do a better job than her regulars can. Sounds like she is interested in year round service which would indicate, that kept up on a regular basis, mulching of the leaves would be no harder than a regular cutting of the lawn. If you're happy with the price, do the best job that you can and try to add a permanent client to your list.