Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-22-2008, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey guys how much will this benifit me

Hey guys how much will this benifit me and my company to learn about and get my applicators license for pesticides,is it worth all the studing and reading that the pennsylvania dept of AG just sent to me.I understand the more you know the more you can do but sometimes things just are not cost effective,so would i be wise to persue this. I hope this aint a dumb question.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Depends on weather at this time you want to put the money into all the equipment to apply it correctly.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy4green View Post
Depends on weather at this time you want to put the money into all the equipment to apply it correctly.
I should have said other then buying the equipment,i can get most equipment pretty cheap.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Member

I would get the license. So when a customer asks if you can do this or that you can without any worries about beeing fined and it will lead to more buisness and thats always good.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

BigW, I've had my business 2 years full time, this past summer I started getting numerous phone calls and current customers asking if I could fertilize/ weed control on their properties, including a few of my larger commercial properties.
I say, if you have the time (no snow here, I'm taking the courses now, while I have the time) and the funds to get the certification/ register the biz./ buy the insurance, then do it now. As your business grows, and you get busier, it will be harder to dedicate the time to it.
Another option is to look into the availability of a local outfit that you could sub the fert. to for the first year or two until your business takes off a little. At least in NY, it is quite an investment of time and money to put out, if you dont get the business to return that investment.
My .02
Matt.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigw View Post
Hey guys how much will this benifit me and my company to learn about and get my applicators license for pesticides,is it worth all the studing and reading that the pennsylvania dept of AG just sent to me.I understand the more you know the more you can do but sometimes things just are not cost effective,so would i be wise to persue this. I hope this aint a dumb question.
By reading some of your previous posts, my initial thought is don't do it. I mean your company takes pride in catering to the elderly. In my area most elderly folks are on fixed incomes. Aside from getting there lawn cut, I find that there is not much more money to be thrown at a lawn program. Of course it depends on the areas that you target for business. Don't get me wrong, for the money ferting is where it's at. If you can do it great, those were just my first thoughts. Good Luck
Old 01-22-2008, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

With you just starting out your going to have a lot on your mind as it is. You can get by for a couple years without doing applications and do just fine. Personally I would wait and focus on building your customer base rather than learning/worrying about spraying.

I just got my license last year and I don't have that many spray customers yet, but I am spending to much time because I don't have the right equipment. I get my new sprayer on Friday and I hope I will be much more productive for the upcoming season.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Member

GravelyGuy - what type of sprayer are you getting. I'm curious because I'm looking now myself.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinLawnscape View Post
GravelyGuy - what type of sprayer are you getting. I'm curious because I'm looking now myself.
Here you go. I'll put up some actual pics when I get it.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...9207_200329207

I think I did pretty good.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN:IT&ih=009
Old 01-22-2008, 11:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for all the advice i am thinking i will study and take the course now that i do have the time, and then i will learn it as time goes on.Then when the time feels right and i am in a good situation i will proceed to the next step which would be to get some equipment.For now i am going to really concentrate on crawling before i start walking and work on my lawn accounts.