Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-27-2001, 04:26 PM
Banned

HGTV says $35 to aerate.

Yeah, I watch that HGTV. Sometimes it's kinda informative.

But today one of thier shows was talking about aerating. They did a lawn with a Bluebird. Then the guy says that homeowners can rent a unit like this, or if you have a large lawn, you can hire a company to do this for about $35 to $40.

Obviously "large lawn" is a subjective term. It can mean alot of different things to alot of different people. So to give an actual $ amount seems pretty stupid.

Now some woman with a 1.5 to 2 acre lawn is going to call a company and tell them she'd like her lawn aerated, and when they give her the price, she's gonna say, but the guy on TV said it would be around $35 to $40 !?!?! LOL! Nice going HGTV!!!
Old 10-27-2001, 05:52 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah...

The do it yourself type show's are good to a point, but when they start talking about prices, they never seem to remember that they are talking to an audience not in their neighborhood. Prices vary from Florida, to Connecticut, to Illinois, to California, etc. I wouldn't aearte a "large" lawn for $35, would you?
Old 10-27-2001, 07:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ya know what the sad part is- some SAP SCRUB is gonna do it for 35 an acre with a pull behind P.O.S. and be happy!!!
Old 10-27-2001, 07:59 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

What they meant to say was $35-$40 per thousand square feet when you contract it out. LOL!!!

I would have taken note of the episode number and then asked them why they didnt call some of the "larger" LCOs in that particular area before slandering us as dead-beats with nothing better to do than lose a couple of beer drinking bucks.

Its terrible how they can glamorize what they shouldnt, and under glorify what they should be promoting.

Go figure.
Kris
Old 10-27-2001, 08:47 PM
Banned

Re: Yeah...

Quote:
Originally posted by guido
The do it yourself type show's are good to a point, but when they start talking about prices, they never seem to remember that they are talking to an audience not in their neighborhood. Prices vary from Florida, to Connecticut, to Illinois, to California, etc. I wouldn't aearte a "large" lawn for $35, would you?

I usually like some of these shows because they can sort of educate a homeowner as to what they should be doing to thier lawns or give them ideas of what they could do to thier landscape.
My hope is that they then call me to come out and do it!
And since alot of people don't have the time, or proper tools/equipment or know how to do the job themselves, I think that these shows do help contractors in a way.
BUT, don't quote prices!!!! Especially such a narrow margin as $35-$40! Say $25 to $225 depending on property size and location. Ehhh, best bet, just don't quote prices.
Old 10-27-2001, 08:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by MOW ED
Ya know what the sad part is- some SAP SCRUB is gonna do it for 35 an acre with a pull behind P.O.S. and be happy!!!
Hey Mow Ed, I personally haven't done any aerations yet, but expect to next season. Never having used ANY kind of aeration device/machine before, I'm curious as to your comment about "pull behind POS". I had planned on using one of the pull behind types. Do these not work very well? What kind of difference is there between these and walk behind machines?
Thanks.
Old 10-27-2001, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yes sir there is a BIG difference between the 125.00 pull behind aerator you buy at Home Cheapo and a quality pull behind aerator similar to a Lesco model.

Home Depot gives the clue in the name of the store. Home use or use on 1 or 2 homes.

I have no problem with getting equipment that does a good job but a so called aerator that has 6 or 8 tines and is made out of old beer cans is not an aerator.

When you look to buy or rent that aerator next season make sure it is a quality piece of equipment that will do a good job for the customer and make you look even better.

Lots to learn, do alot of searches.

Good Luck.
Old 10-27-2001, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

The people who watch those shows are DIY types so I wouldnt worry about it much. If by chance someone you are pricing a job for mentions that HGTV says it should cost $xx.xx to do it, suggest they hire the show to aerate.
Old 10-27-2001, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe we should all send emails to them explaining the nonsense they put out. Maybe instead of hurting the industry they should be working harder to make the industry more respectable.

http://www.hgtv.com/
Old 10-27-2001, 10:13 PM
Banned

Mow Ed, I see what you're saying now. Not that ALL pull behind types are bad, just that there are quality ones and cheapo ones. I originally thought you meant that the pull behind concept or design was flawed somehow. I gotcha now.

thelawnguy, I agree that some of the folks that watch those shows are DIY'ers, but I really think that alot of folks see that stuff and for whatever reason (physically unable, don't have proper tools, or don't have time, etc.) they can't/won't do the work themselves. I think for alot of those viewers, it's more like "oh, that looks like something I need to have done. I think I'll call someone".