Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-23-2008, 04:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Need trouble shooting guide

Hello
I just took a job as the mechanic for a landscaping company and am in need of some sort of trouble shooting guide for the zero turn mowers mainly for the electrical. The way the things are wired it seems like a big loop with any one of the safetys tripping kills the entire system. The question is on a system like that how do you decide what to check first. I had one brought in and told the blades wont engage , sitting there not running the clutch pulls in fine , but now it wont turn over. So there has to be a method to testing these systems and if there isn't then when I figure it out I will write one.
David
Old 01-23-2008, 05:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Hi David

For some reason I like troubleshooting electrical the most.

Since you said that the machine now will not turn over (engine starting I'm assuming) I'd first look into the ignition switch. Not only do they carry power, but also the 'safety' stuff too.

Good luck
Old 01-23-2008, 05:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Welcome David,

First off, There are sooo many different brand unit's on the market with too much crap added on them to make each OEM's system work. To diagnose a system properly one should have a repair manual for the problem unit.

Since you may have missed this; http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=144040 It would be a little hard to direct you to a trouble shooting/service manual.

ALL numbers being posted not only helps us but helps others to get a quicker more accurate response.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannsLawnService View Post
some times the man in my mirror isn't so smart...
"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 01-23-2008, 06:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Sorry about that
The machine is an exmark lazer z rider serial # 414.153 It has no electical options other than what came on it. it currently has 2340 hours on it. I have swapped out the ignition switch with a good one and have metered all safety switches off the machine, as in unhooked from the wire harness. I have cleaned all ground connections. Is there a way to test the seat delay module and the tilt switch?
David
Old 01-23-2008, 07:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

David,

The tilt switch has nothing to do with it not turning over, It only kills the ignition spark should a roll-over happen.

Here is a PDF operator's manual that has wire diagrams near the end;

http://www.exmark.com/pdfs/103-3058.pdf

I'm not sure if there is a test on the delay module because I don't work on many Exmarks, But I do see a couple relays in that system that could be causing a problem. Also, Did you test the PTO switch with your meter as well ? Most have a safely switch built into them that could be faulty causing a no turn over situation.

The fact that you have no turn-over now would lead me back to the park brake/seat switches, a relay or delay module.
Quote:
"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!

Last edited by Restrorob; 01-23-2008 at 07:08 PM.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Member

seat delay module

From the wiring diagram that rob posted am I right in thinking that at the seat delay module if you short the tan to the light blue wire it should run even if the delay module is bad. ? I think.
Thanks
David
Old 01-24-2008, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

David,

There are only a couple Exmarks in my area, I worked on one the middle of last year with a interlock problem. I found the delay module to be at fault, Not being a Exmark dealer I had no way to order one. The nearest dealer is 85 miles round trip, This guy NEEDED to get back out mowing so I did jump the module.

The unit still wouldn't start unless the brake was on and would still shut down if the sticks were pulled in with the brake on, It still wouldn't start if the PTO was in the on position.

The only problem is; With lessor experience on Exmarks and being a older gentleman I just don't remember which wires I dealt with to get this to work.

So, I really rather not suggest anything in fear of seeing a post saying I smoked your wire harness or something.

Sorry.....
Quote:
Old 01-30-2008, 08:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Thompson View Post
Sorry about that
The machine is an exmark lazer z rider serial # 414.153 It has no electical options other than what came on it. it currently has 2340 hours on it. I have swapped out the ignition switch with a good one and have metered all safety switches off the machine, as in unhooked from the wire harness. I have cleaned all ground connections. Is there a way to test the seat delay module and the tilt switch?
David
i'll take a stab... i ran into a similar problem with my zt219 and lost a days labor and a few thousand brain cells trying to figure out what the hell was wrong. ran until i engaged blades, then cut out. returned to shop replaced the ignition switch and then (just like yours) it wouldn't even turn over. knowing the switch was "new" i went thru the entire harness and relays to no avail. the problem... ignition switch i installed was not specific to my zt219. i then replaced the brand new generic switch with the correct switch for the zt219 and ba-boom... no problems ever since. hope this helps you and/or other site members in the same predicament. have a good one.
Old 01-31-2008, 05:05 PM
LawnSite Member

problem solved

Well guys it turned out to be both culprits, the ignition switch and the seat delay were both bad . maybe the switch was shorted and caused the seat delay module to go bad. Thanks for the help guys.
In my area south of atlanta , there are very few options for getting help with these mowers. There is one big commercial dealer that I know of. I am now wondering if a mower repair shop that caters to the commercial user would be a good idea in this area.
David
Old 01-31-2008, 05:49 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Just a FYI, if you can get access to a toro repair manual for their ZTR's that may help you. I had a Lazer Z HP in here with some issues a while back and I remember that the toro book had some good info on all those switches. I dont remember if it helped or not since this thing had the wiring all hacked up.

Toro and Exmark are very similar if not exactly the same when it comes to the electrical components. I know the harness and the delay box were the same part numbers whether it was exmark or toro.