Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-30-2008, 11:50 AM
LawnSite Member

Core Aerator

I like to purchase a core aerator but the pricing on the power units seem very high. A decent looking used unit is around $500.00 . I found a pull behind made by Agri-Fab for $200.00 . Anyone have any experience with these and any thoughts ? Do they really pull the core and not just act like a spike ?
Old 01-30-2008, 12:06 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have an agri fab pull type....its a fair unit and will pull plugs if the ground is soft enough. The problem is it doesnt pull enough cores per square foot to be efficient....I cant qoute how many but some others on here can.....a good pull type ...trac-vent and or a trac vac unit will cost 550-600 bux.

Ive got to edit my post here.......I didnt realize this was in the homeowner section.....the agri fab would prob do ok...you will need to make multiple passes to get enough cores per sq foot.

Wayne

Last edited by grass_cuttin_fool; 01-30-2008 at 12:10 PM.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:12 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan MI View Post
I like to purchase a core aerator but the pricing on the power units seem very high. A decent looking used unit is around $500.00 . I found a pull behind made by Agri-Fab for $200.00 . Anyone have any experience with these and any thoughts ? Do they really pull the core and not just act like a spike ?
Agri-Fabs like what you mentioned will pull cores for a couple uses, then probably disintegrate and become another boat anchor for you to use, because they're not made for any type of heavy duty wear and tear.
Just look at, and lift the light weight of the Agri-Fab and you'll see what I mean.

They'll pull cores and not 'spike' the soil so long as you don't let rocks/ hard clay/ etc dry inside the tines, and clog them up.
Keep a hammer and 'punch' nearby to clear them out once in a while.
Old 01-30-2008, 01:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have a Sears front tine tiller that I purchased a aerator attachment that replaced th tines, it works good but takes many passes, it was around 100 $.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You get what you pay for!
Old 02-03-2008, 12:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'm surprised, I paid 1,000 for mine used, new they run about 3 and 4 thousand for some really nice grade machines that pull plugs your eyes would not believe. We're talking you need something that covers a little AREA while you're walking behind it, so it doesn't take all week for one.

So as a commercial operator I would never recommend using a piece of crap tow-behind that doesn't do what it's supposed to do, and further you may wish to frown on anyone you might hire to aerate your lawn who is about to use such a total complete absolute piece of gar-badge. I myself would never use a tow-behind, never have and never will, you won't catch me on one dead.

Because a tow-behind is the cheap lazy man's solution, and you know in this world if you want something done right it is usually expensive and involves some righteous work. So spend some money and put some effort into it to do it right the first time, then it's less hassle later, and it is unfortunate but there is only one way to do things right.

The tines on a power unit is what propels the machine, hence they literally dig into the soil as they pull forward a 150-200 pound unit that has all of the weight of the machine direct on top of the tines... Take in comparison a tow-behind, first you almost can not match the weight, but even if you can the axle is just being dragged along, not to mention the tines themselves are spaced about twice as far apart so there's only about half the holes being plugged per square foot.

With a tow-behind you get less holes, and even if you drive over the entire lawn twice they're not as deep and it's not as thorough, in comparison you get a lousy job done at best.

If the price tag of a decent unit scares you I would consider renting one from a local outlet, it will likely take you several hours and cost you 25-40 or 50 dollars but it will be money and time well spent, because I forgot to mention but I only aerate once a year in the fall, gets to the point I get suspicious when I get calls for this type of work in spring, see how that works?

Last edited by topsites; 02-03-2008 at 12:55 PM.
Old 02-03-2008, 02:45 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Topsites....I mis read this the first time....this is in the homeowner section... guy just doing his own yard

wayne

Old 02-04-2008, 11:20 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsites View Post
So as a commercial operator I would never recommend using a piece of crap tow-behind that doesn't do what it's supposed to do, and further you may wish to frown on anyone you might hire to aerate your lawn who is about to use such a total complete absolute piece of gar-badge. I myself would never use a tow-behind, never have and never will, you won't catch me on one dead.

Because a tow-behind is the cheap lazy man's solution, and you know in this world if you want something done right it is usually expensive and involves some righteous work. So spend some money and put some effort into it to do it right the first time, then it's less hassle later, and it is unfortunate but there is only one way to do things right.
You need to get out of VA and see the REST of the world sometime, Topsites !!
(Either that, or you've been in front of the computer too much this winter...and now you're stir-crazy; and looking to pick a fight over really stupid stuff...)

You obviously have had little or no experience with 3 point tractor hookups or the concept of their 'down-pressure', or you woudn't be making such silly generalizations about " all " pull behind aerators.

Old 02-04-2008, 12:06 PM
LawnSite Member

PLUGR PL 1600 Tow Pro 45"

topsites----------it says you have over 9000 posts -------------but you need to do your home work man!!!!!!!!! Click on PLUGR on the right hand side and read about their model PL 1600 Tow Pro 45"!!!!!!!! This unit has been out for 2 or 3 years now so where have you been??? This unit is some what pricey BUT it does the job with one pass and can be towed with several types machines. Check it out guys!!!
Old 02-05-2008, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Topsites and others. Thanks for the responses.

That tow behind from Pluger look great but I can only imagine the cost.

I will probably rent for at least the first time to make sure it does what I want.

Maybe I'm out in left field with what I would like for a final result, which is a nice flat lawn. I'd like to be able to mow at full speed and not get shaken off the mower. It's not really that bad but I'm sure you know what I mean. I have a roller that I use early spring and late fall that has helped a lot with the flat part but it also contributes to the need for the aerator.

My original thought was to aerate at least a couple of times in the spring as this would allow for some loosing of the soil and then to roll and maybe aerate again in the fall to further flatten things out.

Does this sound right or is there a better way ??

Thanks again !!