Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-24-2008, 01:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I ran across this, alcohol % tester, may be it will be helpful in finding the best gas for you all. Maybe it's time to buy an infrared temperature reader to check the cylinder temperature. I think you can get one for about $50.

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=18454

Good luck
Old 01-24-2008, 01:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA Quality Lawn & YS View Post
Here in MN (and being in the Corn Belt) - we are mandated 10% ethanol in all blends. Ran 2 cycle trimmer and blower all last season regular grade gasohol with no problems.
Ethanol is not a final solution, but it is definitely not a problem being a homegrown fuel source. Its a start...Better than supporting big oil and the overseas conundrum.
Don't take this the wrong way, but using ethanol is a problem. It takes roughly twice as much ethanol to go the same distance as it does on gas. Sure the price per gallon is less, but when you have to use twice as much it is actually more expensive.

Now that we are using it on a wide spread basis the cost of everything that uses corn has gone up significantly, as will the price of ethanol.

It is never a good idea to burn our food supply for transportation. It is more volatile than oil. All you need is one big flood or drought in just the right place and the price can skyrocket, much more than gas or oil.

It may burn cleaner, but it is not the solution.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Another problem with ethanol gas- it's not any cheaper than regular gas. I always look for the ethanol sticker and go right down the road to a station that doesn't have it. At least in this area, the price is the same.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Eddings, you need to get your facts straight. Check out this site. http://www.fueleconomy.gov/ 50% mileage is way out of line. E85 only gets you 20-30% less. Check it out!
Old 01-24-2008, 03:06 PM
LawnSite Member

With ethanol and the food supply that all crap. Everybody says that ethanol is making the price of food go way up. You explain to me what food item has been affected and by how much. Actually the best blend of Ethanol and gas is about 40% ethanol. Around here we have had ethanol at 10% on 89 octane pumps for at least 15 years and it is always 10 cents cheaper a gallon then the 87 octane (no ethanol)
Old 01-24-2008, 03:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've never heard of this "ethanol getting less mileage thing" before. I'm going go read up a bit further on this. I never actually studied our pumps here. When my dealer told me premium gas has no ethanol I was surprised. Premium gas is only about 5% more expensive.. at least I think but if it gives you such better mileage. I'm going to have to try it out.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyaroch View Post
Eddings, you need to get your facts straight. Check out this site. http://www.fueleconomy.gov/ 50% mileage is way out of line. E85 only gets you 20-30% less. Check it out!

I am sorry I wasn't clear on this. If you run straight ethanol it takes double the fuel to go the same distance. So if you are running 10% ethanol in the gas it will reduce your mileage by roughly 5%.

So on a vehicle that gets 20mpg you can expect 19mpg with 10% ethenol. This translates to having to buy an extra 1.37gal of fuel to go the same distance. If you pay $3/gal for ethanol then the 10% ethenol just cost you an extra $4.11 to go the same distance.

If you had straight gas and it cost $0.10/gal more this would cost $2.60 for the same distance traveled. In other words using ethanol cost $4.11-2.60=1.51 more than running straight gas for one 26gal tank.

So even straight gas at $0.10/gal more is still cheaper than ethanol.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanCutProLawn View Post
With ethanol and the food supply that all crap. Everybody says that ethanol is making the price of food go way up. You explain to me what food item has been affected and by how much. Actually the best blend of Ethanol and gas is about 40% ethanol. Around here we have had ethanol at 10% on 89 octane pumps for at least 15 years and it is always 10 cents cheaper a gallon then the 87 octane (no ethanol)
This is just supply and demand. If the supply of corn goes down(using more than normal to produce ethanol) and the demand goes up, then the price will go up. Pure and simple.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:59 PM
LawnSite Member

It is best to use at least 89 octane fuel. You should also use 2 stroke oil that is at least rated FC or FD. FD is the latest, best rating. Anything less will not work properly with alcohol in the fuel that we now have.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Check the bottles of oil. The rating is on the bottle, above the rating is the ID number. If the oil does not have a ID number, than it does not meet the new standards. This is very important