Register free!

Old 01-25-2008, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

PG, All in one pass?

While at my states turfgrass seminar earlier this week The U of A turfgrass Management Dept put on a class on how to calibrate ride on spreaders. Specifically the PG Magnum. They chose this one because their dept has one as a piece of equipment they use to make applications on plots at their research facility. They use it to apply dry products as well as liquid. And of course it is calibrated before any applications are made for scientific reasons. During the course of the presentation the spokesman made the comment that the machine only sprayed approx 7.5 ft wide. It spread dry material approx 11.5 ft wide. Both of these measurements varied to a degree depending on material used.(Liquid and/or Dry) I have the PG Ultra and one of the first things I noticed was this variance. I typically do not spread and spray simultaneously because of this (except when spot spraying). Can someone explain to me how it is possible to apply both liquid and dry at the same time without over applying or underapplying one or the other of the 2 materials used?

The spokesman was a Phd and he had 2 masters program students help him take measurements

"Opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"- Thomas Edison, businessman/inventor
Old 01-25-2008, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted putnam View Post
While at my states turfgrass seminar earlier this week The U of A turfgrass Management Dept put on a class on how to calibrate ride on spreaders. Specifically the PG Magnum. They chose this one because their dept has one as a piece of equipment they use to make applications on plots at their research facility. They use it to apply dry products as well as liquid. And of course it is calibrated before any applications are made for scientific reasons. During the course of the presentation the spokesman made the comment that the machine only sprayed approx 7.5 ft wide. It spread dry material approx 11.5 ft wide. Both of these measurements varied to a degree depending on material used.(Liquid and/or Dry) I have the PG Ultra and one of the first things I noticed was this variance. I typically do not spread and spray simultaneously because of this (except when spot spraying). Can someone explain to me how it is possible to apply both liquid and dry at the same time without over applying or underapplying one or the other of the 2 materials used?

The spokesman was a Phd and he had 2 masters program students help him take measurements

Ted,

I ALWAYS do my dry and liquid in 1 pass!

You can adjust the spray width of the Magnum very easily by changing the angle of the tip. Thank God the he gave us common sense instead of a PHD behind our name huh!

When I am on a big job in the wide open with no wind...I can get about 13 ft out of my PG Magnum.

Hope this helps!

SIDE NOTE:

There are thousands of these machines out here, so I am surprised they couldn't figure out how to fix the spray width. That is scary! If that were the case of the spray width being narrow compared to the dry, wouldn't one think that there would be big strips of weeds in everyones lawns that uses a PG?

If they are going to show how to calibrate a machine and can't figure that out...they should have invited someone from PG to come and show them how to do it.

Hope this helps!
Old 01-25-2008, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Rodney,
When spraying is only one floodjet nozzle spraying at a time or are there 2? I can't remember exactly the setup but it seems to me they said only one nozzle was working in high gear. They did warn that the nozzles were easily knocked out of adjustment. I know for a fact with my Ultra( and I have adjusted every way imagineable) it does not spray and spread the same width. They both give even apps individually but they wouldn't together. I just sold 3 new accts today and gave an estimate for 6.5 acres of turf at a Hospital so maybe...the goal is anyway...add another PG to my equipment Army I am building....we'll see

"Opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"- Thomas Edison, businessman/inventor
Old 01-25-2008, 11:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Rodney,
When spraying is only one floodjet nozzle spraying at a time or are there 2? I can't remember exactly the setup but it seems to me they said only one nozzle was working in high gear. They did warn that the nozzles were easily knocked out of adjustment. I know for a fact with my Ultra( and I have adjusted every way imagineable) it does not spray and spread the same width. They both give even apps individually but they wouldn't together. I just sold 3 new accts today and gave an estimate for 6.5 acres of turf at a Hospital so maybe...the goal is anyway...add another PG to my equipment Army I am building....we'll see
You only use one tip at a time. I only use "high" gear on my machine but use both the wide and trim.

There are a total of four tips on the machine

1) High gear - wide pattern
2) Low gear - wide pattern
3) High gear - narrow pattern (trim)
4) Low gear - narrow pattern (trim)

The tip is very easy to adjust and unless you hit something (like sticks or tall grass etc) then it will stay adjusted.

I haven't had any problems with my spray pattern on my PG Mag.

Congrats on your new work! I think you would love the PG Mag as it is awesome!

Good Luck!
Old 01-25-2008, 11:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
I know for a fact with my Ultra( and I have adjusted every way imagineable) it does not spray and spread the same width.
You SPREAD back to your wheel tracks(100% overlap), and SPRAY 1/2 that width(0% overlap). In other words, your spread pattern is 2X your spray pattern.
Member Mich. Turfgrass Foundation (MTF)
Old 01-25-2008, 11:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MStine315 View Post
You SPREAD back to your wheel tracks(100% overlap), and SPRAY 1/2 that width(0% overlap). In other words, your spread pattern is 2X your spray pattern.
Good point...but I still run my tip on about a 30 degree angle (unless it is windy) so I get a good amount of "overlap".

I have never had any problems with skips even if I drive a little wide as if it is hard to see.
Old 01-25-2008, 11:51 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I need to correct myself on that first post also. They did say that it sprayed wider than the 7.5 feet but the part beyond that was not part of the even distribution of the spray pattern...in other words random droplets beyond the main body of the spray pattern of 7.5 ft. In their evaluation , they said it was an excellent piece of equipment but it was not everything the PG people claim it to be. At the trade show I also saw a new ride on being manufactured by a company called GNC Industries. Very much like the Z-spray. Almost identical from what I could see. You could spray with it from the front or a 12 ft boom on the back. I'm still leaning toward the PG for my next ride on purchase!

Old 01-26-2008, 08:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcreech View Post
Good point...but I still run my tip on about a 30 degree angle (unless it is windy) so I get a good amount of "overlap".
I know. I was trying to get my point across when I said "0%" overlap. In reality the spray pattern does overlap, what?, 6" to a foot to prevent skips and misses. We run our tips up a little, too. I still like the ultra spray tip set up better than the Magnum, but that's an argument for another thread.
Member Mich. Turfgrass Foundation (MTF)
Old 01-26-2008, 08:33 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MStine315 View Post
This is the correct response. You run your dry apps at a reduced rate, because you're going to overlap them to get an even coverage with the liquid.

Your liquid apps should look like over lapping fans, and of course, you're not going to get even coverage on the outside edges, because you overlap the next time and it'll even itself out.

Personally, unless it's a large open area, I usually do my apps seperately. Too much hassle driving, steering, opening the liquid, shutting down the deflector, drinking pop, answering the phone, listening to the radio all at one time.

If it's a smaller commercial / residential lot, I find it doesn't take too much extra time to just do each app seperate.
Old 01-26-2008, 09:52 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LwnmwrMan22 View Post
This is the correct response. You run your dry apps at a reduced rate, because you're going to overlap them to get an even coverage with the liquid.

Your liquid apps should look like over lapping fans, and of course, you're not going to get even coverage on the outside edges, because you overlap the next time and it'll even itself out.

Personally, unless it's a large open area, I usually do my apps seperately. Too much hassle driving, steering, opening the liquid, shutting down the deflector, drinking pop, answering the phone, listening to the radio all at one time.

If it's a smaller commercial / residential lot, I find it doesn't take too much extra time to just do each app seperate.
That's basically the attitude I've taken with my Ultra...good advice. Thanks