Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-28-2008, 08:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Merit Application Timing for Scale

Can you tell me when would be a good time to begin applying Merit to shrubs for controlling scale insects in NW FL? I'd like to do it next month when I thin, prune, apply pre-m and mulch but at 100 bucks a bag I also want to make sure the plants will take it up.

Thanks
Old 01-28-2008, 10:41 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

wooley

Mar 15th is my no freeze date in SW Fla. In a normal year I like to wait until after that date to apply Merit. But our scale pressure is such that I also put Merit down in Sept. I find that even with two application a year Merit doesn't always prevent sucking insects. Our heavy rainy season and higher soil temperatures cause heavy growth.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ric,

You da man! Thanks for the info once again. I may need to adjust my maintenance plan accordingly. I wasn't legal or smart enough to apply in Sep but I will hit them in the fall too next year. In the meantime while it's cold I've been spraying them with Volk oil when there's signs of the creepy scale babies. It may thin them out a little, it does wash some of the sooty mold off, it gives me something to do and it appears to the clients like something is happening.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:23 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

wooley

Granular Merit is the only way to go. Save money and the environment by only treating those plants that need protection.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:07 PM
LawnSite Member

If you use 75WSP I think you will be very happy with the results. One thing to remember is that with anything of lg caliper you really are treating for the next year. Up here in the NE we gauge the bud break with our apps of merit for insect control on shrubs and really as long as the ground is not frozen trees can be done anytime, as it is based on systemic control. I am not sure about granular, I suppose a time release dosed into holes around the landscape would work the same.

"Either your Boatswain Mate or you work for one"