Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-28-2008, 02:02 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Site Compaction Home Foundation

Hey guys. I'm building about to build a home for myself right now on a lot that I can get for a steal of a price. I have a soil report that is about 3 years old (ordered a new one that will come in next week), but based off the last report the PVR (potential vertical rise) is 6". The P.I. is about 34-38. It seems the soil is not very compacted on this site. What should I be looking at for someone to come in and compact this site in well. The size of the slab is a little under 4000 sq ft. Thanks,
www.eagle-irrigation.com

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle
Old 01-28-2008, 02:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Can you do a pre-load and wait for 3 months?

http://www.youtube.com/user/69rd96
Old 01-28-2008, 03:16 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Say what now?
www.eagle-irrigation.com

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle
Old 01-28-2008, 03:25 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

a pre-load is where you load the soil well above what the soil will ever carry and leave it set for a few months, then come back and take the pre-load off and build your pad...this is typically done by putting anywhere from 2'-...well the sky is literally the limit for how much stone you can pile for a pre-load. Pre loading gets very expensive...

have an engineer design you up something...chances are you will be ok with a pad footing, or even micro-piles would be cheaper then a pre-load

micro-piles are where a drill rig will come in and drill 4" holes straight down to bed rock, the holes are then filled with mortar and you build your pad on top of the micro-piles. This method is very common and used on virtually all sports stadiums and open floor warehouses that have an open center with no roof supports and require the outside walls to support all the weight
Old 01-28-2008, 03:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You can also get cheap building fill hauled in that some excavation contractor wants to get rid of for cheap and use it for fill or sell it out by the load to someone else.

Old 01-28-2008, 06:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Are you digging a basement? If so you might be able to dig out of the bad soil and into some good clay. Also you can have a engineer design a layer set up with layers of stone and then putting down geo grid matting, then stone then geo grid, and so on and so on until grade has been met.. I have done this on a job site near Leesburg VA where we kept having sink hole problems. The most popular way we handle things like that around here is to excavate the bad soil out until stable ground is found and then refill in lifts and compact with a stable clay material. We always have it certified by having a soil engineer company on site while the lifts are installed so they can do certified compaction testing. If anything fails due to the ground moving under the foundation in the future they are held responsible and must pay for damages.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post
Can you do a pre-load and wait for 3 months?
Just curious, what do you do with all the stone when you take it back out? I have never seen that done around here. Sounds too expensive for anyone to do.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBEN2004 View Post
Just curious, what do you do with all the stone when you take it back out? I have never seen that done around here. Sounds too expensive for anyone to do.
The pre-load I got pics of, all of the gravel (19 feet high by 180x180 square and some 34,000 tons of gravel) will be shoved over and used up for the parking lots, in jwingfield2k's case, if there needs to be a driveway made or any other fill needed to bring a lower elevation back up, the fill can be used there, it doesn't always have to be rock, even sand or heavy soil like clay, as long as the structural engineer approves of it.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I thought I heard that Bob_Cat_Ron sold all that pre-load material for Pet Rocks? Maybe that was another thread.....
Old 01-28-2008, 08:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, I made Ka-jillions of dollars!!!!!