Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-29-2001, 06:03 PM
LawnSite Member

echo trimmer

i have an echo 2100. i bought it for a growning business. it seems to work out okay, and i love it, but the thing is that the bump feed stopped working one week or so after i bought it,how do i fix that??

also, after i manually set the line back out, sometimes line will leave trimmer head(all of it) or top of head will fall off when i am using it.
How do I go about fixing this, should i have someone look at it or should I get a better one(head) ??

thanks

Last edited by tlg675; 10-29-2001 at 06:07 PM.
Old 10-29-2001, 06:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

When you put head back on, are you twisting+ locking the little button on head? Do you still have spring under head?
Old 10-29-2001, 06:33 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have had nothing but trouble from echo Heads...your best bet is to buy a Veri head for the trimmer! I now use redmax trimmers so i dont have to worry about it any more!
Old 10-29-2001, 06:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have three Echo 2601's (260's). I have removed the stock heads and replaced with the Sthil heads (25-2) and haven't looked back since. The Sthil heads are a little more difficult to load but much easier to use in general. All you need is an adapter nut which is available from Sthil.
Good luck on your quest for the perfect trimmer head.

Ssouth
Old 10-29-2001, 06:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

ive never used a bump. i'm not familiar with the trimmer you have, but maybe try a manual feed. less to go wrong.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 10-29-2001, 07:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you are locking the spool in correctly, you may have the wrong rotation spool, there are ccw and cw . The new Veris I just bought have a combination spool.(exactly the same design as Echo) Also check for dirt or debris in the head this can make them sticky. Where is your dealer?
Old 10-29-2001, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Get rid of that echo head and go to a stihl head, you'll like it better. There are also other replacement heads out there, and allot are innerchangeable with one another. Try until you find something you like.
Old 10-29-2001, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Tlg, i know why your head is falling off. echo puts two arrows for some reason to tell you which way to wind the the string. you are winding it the opposite way. it causes the head to pop off like you were saying. i found this out the first time i had to reload my echo, and the dealer circled the correct arrow to use. just take your string off and wind it the opposite way.
Old 10-29-2001, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Member

You need to follow the arrows marked "CC" when rewinding and also keep both lines side by side and you won't have any problems with the echo brand heads.
Old 10-29-2001, 11:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I agree, the Stihl heads are the best out there that I've tried so far. I've used a couple Stihls with the automatic heads. I really wish I had one. I could buy one, but I'm gonna buy a new trimmer not to long from now so I'll just wait. Go for the Stihl heads, they work great!

Go hard, go fast, or go home