Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-30-2001, 12:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Under the spool there's a nut that sometimes comes loose. You should've gotten a wrench with it. One side is for the spark plug of course, the other is for that nut under the spool. When mine came loose, it caused the exact problem that your describing. It causes you to be unable to lock the spool down properly. That in turn makes the spool pop off. Hope this helps.
Old 10-30-2001, 12:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You are winding your head wrong. Check your owners manual.

LGF:blob1:
Old 10-30-2001, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

echo trimmer

my head on my trimmer kept fallin off (echo 2601) the nut inside the head came lose. the dealer used locktight on it and it has worked since. also by winding the string the wrong way like i did, u can losen the head and cause the entire head to fall off. tighten the nut down and get some lock tight, wrap the string the way in manual cant remember if its cc or not and u should b fine.
Old 10-30-2001, 07:12 PM
LawnSite Member

it's all in the way you wind the string, there should be a hole knocked out for Right or Left on the bump pad. which ever one is knocked out string it that way. By the way, echo string trimmers are some of the best, no arguements with redmax or stihl, but I personally have never had a problem w/ echo.

One other thing tanaka makes an excellent elec start trimmer
Old 10-30-2001, 08:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

When bumping the head, don't smash it off the pavement, tap on the grass or mulch and it will last longer.
Old 10-30-2001, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i tried a tanake with a auto
head called the brain and it was
the best trimmer ever
auto advance and it just floated for perfect trimming
Old 10-30-2001, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have had some of the same problems you guys are talking about on my Echo trimmer. After 5min of wrapping the string perfectly around the head of the trimmer, and get it all back on the trimmer and get it started, the head either falls off or the string just doesnt come out after tapping it on the ground. ticks me off when i have to turn it off again take the head off and restring the thing. The advise u guys have given will be put to some use for me and ill try all the ideas. Also i have had a problem with starting my trimmer all tthe time from a cold start. It takes like alot of pulls to get it started, though im in the reformulated gas country up here so dont know if that has something to do with it.
Great advice guys
Matt
Old 10-30-2001, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Matt is your Echo new? The new ones start hard in the cold. My dealer says its because of the CARB regulations. Can't California be satisfied with just ruining there own state (no electricity)?
Old 10-30-2001, 11:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

HMMM....I've been using Echo string trimmers since the early 90's and have only replaced the part that strikes the ground when you tap it. The Echo head is simple, easy to wind, and for me, holds up very well. If there is any complaint by me, it would be that it advances the line too easily. One slip up/drop and the head advances line. No real problem as I retain the OEM shield with the cutoff knife reversed for 2" more line length, and it simply cuts it off and I'm O.K.! It has NEVER fell apart, never gummed or welded up, or otherwise dissapointed me. Just tap and go. Every couple 4 years, replace the worn out bump head.

I previously (the 80's) had Green Machine trimmers and kinda liked their head design, but the head was huge (lots of line capacity) and didn't offer a cutoff knife on the shield.

I think it comes down to what you are used to, and what your are properly trained on how to use/load.
2006 Hustler SuperZ 28EFI 60" Power Chute Design OCDC SOLD!
Perma-green Magnum
1996 48" SCAG Belt WB 14hp Kawasaki Classic Deck
Echo 2 strokes PB-755 & SRM 280
Eastman WM20H 20" Commercial Push mower (NEW for 2013)
Commercial Lawnboy trim mower 3-FOR SALE!http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=424203
Solo since 1980
Old 10-31-2001, 08:28 AM
LawnSite Member

i have been twisting it all the way on. I was looking at veri heads, are they any good or should I get a stihl head?? i personally dont like mine.is there a wrong way to put in sting??
this problem is also annoying when i edge( dont have a good enough edger yet, so i use my trimmmer) it falls of alot

thanks mike