Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-29-2001, 07:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

customer hates me...i think!?

this time of year is so weird.

i have a few customers that really seem to dislike my company and the job we do. now i have no issue with this,as we do small props thus have a lot of customers, so the 5 or 6 that feel this way represent a small % of our customer base.

whats weird is they lasted the whole year. they bother the guys, call to complain, bicker over billing, etc yet they never cancel. and i don't mean crazy people, they seem all there but just picky or cheap. i always wonder why they stay. i don't drop these people cause they have yet to cross my "line", and they pay. (i guess my tolerence is high so i keep them on-still better than having a boss ride my ass)

now as we shift to winter mode these people sign up for snowplowing! it just surprises me as they never seem happy. and it gets to the point that i dont really care about the job they get. tell the boys just cut, trim blow and get outa there. and they stay on.

just wondering if anyone sees this too. in a way its nice, i dont have to cater to these people cause i figure if they leave so be it. but then they pay and stay. at least i'm happy, i guess

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 10-29-2001, 07:23 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Sorry to that...

Quote:
just wondering if anyone sees this too
No...

I have to say that I must have it easy... It's pretty laid back 'round here. None of my customers ever complain about anything... Even when I know things are not up to par or if I skip a cut... I guess I'm lucky

establishing roots in the community... www.mdlawns.com
Old 10-29-2001, 07:35 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm in the same boat as TSG.....my customers wouldn't say
s**t if they had a mouthful. Never complain. Never say "nice
job". I think I'd like to hear some negative input one of these
days, and I KNOW that I'd like to hear something positive.
Haven't been stiffed or even had a late-payer in three years
so I think I'll find something else to stew about. Bubble Boy,
what you say doesn't surprise me a bit. It's just SOOOO weird
how people are.
Old 10-29-2001, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I don't have anyone like that but my buddy does. His customer would always complain about what it costs to cut the lawn ($150.00) so as a result my buddy wouldn't cut the grass every week. The the customer started complaining because my buddy didn't cut the grass every week. I told my buddy to just cut the grass every week unless the customer told him not to and to try and ignore the money issue.

Old 10-30-2001, 08:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Call me wierd!

I'm more shakey on the customers that say nothing! I can deal with customers that complain and are never satisfied. The problem in the "South" is that most of the time you never know what ticked them off and made them drop you (considered improper to directly complain or confront). The yankees down here are very direct and I know what they don't want. As long as I see a customer smiling at me when I'm walking toward them that's a good sign for me.

Cordially,
Sheppard
Old 10-30-2001, 08:11 AM
Banned

Location: anthracite valley, commonwealth of pennsylvania Winter residence: Charlotte County FLA
Re: Call me wierd!

Quote:
Originally posted by sheppard
As long as I see a customer smiling at me when I'm walking toward them that's a good sign for me.
That might not be the case it you were a LCO in Key West.
Old 10-30-2001, 08:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've had a few customers like that and I finally ask them what I can do to make them happy. If I can't do it I tell them they will have to find someone else. Usually those type of people are with you because you are the best deal that they could find and when you threaten them that you will walk they shut their mouth. Cronic complainers drive me crazy. If they keep calling I drop them. It is not worth a phone call every week because one line was a little crooked. These are also usually the people that have never mowed a lawn in their entire life.
Old 10-30-2001, 10:00 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

scotts turf, thats what is weird about it. im not the cheapest game around(although im not expensive) there are firms(not scrubs) who would give these props a price 10-15% lower than mine. Im sure the local kid would cut these lawns for 30% less. so it's not price.

i've never asked these people how to please them. the job we do is actually below par for me cause i know the complaint is coming regardless. i figure as long as they pay...

the calls can be a nuisance. for some reason when it comes to clients i can be patient. in any other aspect of life, well you could say im somewhat high strung

maybe i displace it. i guess as long as i dont pent it up..serenity now!!!

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 10-30-2001, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i actually had a customer that would complain about anything u can imagine. even made stuff up sometimes. i got so fed up with her crap, i told her shes fired! get someone else, i cant deal with u! she called and asked if i would please reconsider, so i said ok, under one condition: any more complaints, and i get $40 to return yur call, or drop by. people are weird!!!!!!
Old 10-30-2001, 06:44 PM
Banned

I had one customer down the road from my house that I had been doing for something like 3 or 4 years. The people were a bit paranoid is the best term for it I guess. They accused me of stealing, and some other stuff too which was not true. This summer when I got into my accident I specifically walked down to their house to tell them I was injured. I believe 2 weeks later we cut the lawn. No problems. Then she called up a week later saying that I had best come to cut her lawn. The lawn was barely growing. I hadn't cut some others in the area in about a month. They didn't complain- (those people didn't know I was injured) So I basically told this woman to find somebody else to do the work there because I was injured. Just nutty I guess?

PS- The husband threatened to put me in the hospital a few years back for a silly joke I made.